Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   floppy disks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/floppy-disks-t166466.html)

Nantie 11-06-2011 03:32 AM

floppy disks

I got messages from another forum that floppys are discontinued and no longer available...i haven't looked for any for a while but i might check out office max today and see if they have any, staples in my area had stopped carrying them a while ago...has anyone else heard this...i had hoped not to have to upgrade my D1 to a usb port but that might be my only options for designs unless i rewrite over the ones i have...is that right?

rosemarie34 11-06-2011 04:03 AM

I have a D1 that uses a floppy and I would never change it over to USB...too slow...as for the floppy disks being discontinued, they've been saying that for years so one time I stocked up on several boxes but find I use the same few over and over...I don't store my designs on my floppies just what I want to run on the machine at the time...save yourself some money and don't upgrade...

katier825 11-06-2011 04:06 AM

You can buy floppy disks thru Amazon. Probably e-Bay too.

ywoodruff5 11-06-2011 09:02 AM

My Office Max carries the floppies and yes, we have heard that for years.

Peckish 11-06-2011 09:11 AM

I've never had a problem with USB being too slow, when I use mine it's ripping fast, and I am wondering if it's your computer. The nice thing about USB drives is they hold TONS more data than floppy discs.

clsurz 11-06-2011 12:38 PM

Floppy disks???????

Haven't used or seen those in at least a decade.

They haven't had those in our local stores probably that long as well.

clsurz 11-06-2011 12:48 PM

Don't know where one thinks usb is slow? It's a whole lot faster and better to use than floppies.

Floppies haven't been used in computers for years.

Y'all must have old and antiqued computers.

First there were the 5 1/4 inch flobby, than the 3 1/2 inch floppy, than the CD, than the DVD, and now flash drives.

I cut my teeth on 5 1/4 inch in the mid 80's and towards late 80's early 90's the 3.5 disk. By 1995 it was CD which almost immediately was replaced with DVD and than flash drives.

Nantie 11-06-2011 01:37 PM

for me the floppys are not used on my computer, i don't know of anyone with a computer that old...i use them to download embroideries for my viking D1,,,,checked at office max today they said they got rid of all of theirs a month ago, but my local best buy had them for $1.99/box

kayahr 11-06-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by clsurz (Post 4642265)
Don't know where one thinks usb is slow? It's a whole lot faster and better to use than floppies.

Floppies haven't been used in computers for years.

Y'all must have old and antiqued computers.

First there were the 5 1/4 inch flobby, than the 3 1/2 inch floppy, than the CD, than the DVD, and now flash drives.

I cut my teeth on 5 1/4 inch in the mid 80's and towards late 80's early 90's the 3.5 disk. By 1995 it was CD which almost immediately was replaced with DVD and than flash drives.

Bought a Brother ULT2003D that takes a floppy disk. My computer is certainly not outdated. I did ask for a floppy drive to be installed when the computer was built. So floppies are still being used on computers and sewing machines.

Bonnie P 11-06-2011 04:28 PM

I still use floppy's and bought an external floppy drive since my new desk top didn't come with one.