Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help with Velcro! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-velcro-t168663.html)

Micha 11-17-2011 09:28 AM

I need help with Velcro!

Hi,

I'm trying to sew some darn velcro, but the thread keeps bunching up above my needle. Anyone have some good advice for sewing on velcro? Like needle size, what's the best thread or any other tricks? I would love to hear them.

Micha

mytwopals 11-17-2011 09:34 AM

Most velcro has a flat edge on each side. This is where the sewing should be. Use any good quality polyester thread. A zipper foot will help you sew along the edges.

jamsbuying 11-17-2011 09:35 AM

Good advice, Terry (mytwopals). That's exactly what I do.

ThreadHead 11-17-2011 09:50 AM

I need help with Velcro

Are you working with sticky back Velcro by chance?
I've never done anything special when sewing Velcro except using a zig zag stitch.
Rethread both bobbin and top thread before trying again.

Sounds to me like something could be stopping the thread from going through the tention and the needle eye keeps rubbing against the thread, then it frays, then breaks.

I had a little burr on the bottom of my spool of thread and "sometimes" it would get caught and snag the thread. I checked it a couple of times before I finally found it. I used my finger nail file and filed it down. Same thing with one of my metal feet. I guess the needle hit it made the burr, I filed that one down too.

Syl

Originally Posted by Micha (Post 4690045)
Hi,

I'm trying to sew some darn velcro, but the thread keeps bunching up above my needle. Anyone have some good advice for sewing on velcro? Like needle size, what's the best thread or any other tricks? I would love to hear them.

Micha

maryel 11-17-2011 09:56 AM

When I have made doll clothes for my granddaughter, I keep lubricating my machine needle with vasoline and it really works! The needle this way slides through the fabric without getting stuck.

sewmary 11-17-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by maryel (Post 4690131)
When I have made doll clothes for my granddaughter, I keep lubricating my machine needle with vasoline and it really works! The needle this way slides through the fabric without getting stuck.

Good tip! I find sewing on the tiny pieces of velcro on doll clothes to be an adventure. It got so I am now gluing them down with a dab of non-washable glue. They seem to hold well.

sculpyfan 11-17-2011 10:11 AM

I had one machine that was picky sewing on the hook side and ended up just putting paper on top to protect the thread and tearing it off when done.

Rumbols 11-17-2011 10:26 AM

Thanks for posting and all the tips, great subject. I have been sewing the velcro on the doll clothers by hand as I never could figure out how to use the machine. Now that I can no longer use my index finger (arthritis) it makes it hard to hand sew. I have to re-learn some sewing by machine.

Doreen 11-17-2011 10:34 AM

If I need to sew velcro, I use my featherweight. It does the job!

Chicca 11-17-2011 10:37 AM

Excellent Topic and Tips!!!! I have encountered the velcro problem myself, several times. I will be giving these tips a try the next time I have to sew on velcro. Thanks for sharing.