Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Always lose my points, help!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/always-lose-my-points-help-t169750.html)

jcrow 11-24-2011 11:18 PM

Always lose my points, help!!!

I have been quilting since 1992 and have quilted many, many quilts and my favorite block is the star block. But I lose my points every time. I'm doing a star block right now and stomped out of the sewing room in frustration because I am losing my points. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Lately, I've been avoiding anything with points, but then I narrow my selection of patterns quite a bit. I follow the direction correctly. I mean, all my other parts of the quilt are fine. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

woody 11-24-2011 11:20 PM

could you show us a picture? Maybe then we could help you more.

jcrow 11-24-2011 11:37 PM

I'm waiting for my new camera so I can take pictures but I'll tell you that I only have less than quarter inch from my points to the edge of my fabrics and when I sew the fabrics together, it takes away a little bit of the point

QM 11-24-2011 11:46 PM

I am guessing you are making an 8 point "sawtooth" star. The most common reason for point cut offs is seam allowances not being uniform. What I was taught to do is check every allowance as you go along until they are regularly right. I generally make my sawtooths with HST blocks, although it is just as easy beginning with flying geese. I cut my HST's 1" larger than the finished size I want. This gives me 1/8" for trimming, after I press and use starch or sizing. When I use the square over a rectangle method, I need to remember to be 1 thread width off the center line with my sewing. Pressing is very important here too.

dublb 11-25-2011 12:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. Well here are some picts of some of my pinwheels. As you see I try to cross my intersections. Even where the points go further into the seam allowance.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]290756[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]290757[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]290759[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]290760[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]290758[/ATTACH]
Don't pay attention to the glue where I used it instead of pins. It will wash out.
This is Turtle, my quilt inspector. He had to make sure that I took the right pictures!

mmdquilts 11-25-2011 03:12 AM

I match the points with a pin checking to make sure the pin is exactly at the points of both pieces. Sew right up to the pin where you know it is matched. either take the pin out at this point or hand crank it over the pin if you are sure the needle won't hit it. This has made it much easier for me to get sharp points.

Awesumpunk 11-25-2011 03:16 AM

Cute kitty! I love kitties!

LivelyLady 11-25-2011 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by mmdquilts (Post 4717907)
I match the points with a pin checking to make sure the pin is exactly at the points of both pieces. Sew right up to the pin where you know it is matched. either take the pin out at this point or hand crank it over the pin if you are sure the needle won't hit it. This has made it much easier for me to get sharp points.

I do it that way, too. It's the only way I can get the points.

Holice 11-25-2011 04:12 AM

check to make sure you are maintaining the correct seam allowance to the end. Use a sharp point to hold the fabric so the seam allowance doesn't shift. I find this is the most common problem causing points not to match.

Marni 11-25-2011 04:17 AM

I love the quilt inspector on the tutorial