Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   My doctor told me today not to use lotion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/my-doctor-told-me-today-not-use-lotion-t172260.html)

Airwick156 12-16-2011 04:51 PM

My doctor told me today not to use lotion

on my feet or legs for dry skin. She says to use a Vasaline based product....like just plain old vasaline, Vaseline Intensive Care lotion, Serna, a product called Renew amongst other lotions.
I am a diabetic and I had an appointment this morning and I mentioned that my feet are so dry and almost like they are chapped or peeling and I have callasus. I NEVER go barefoot. I ALWAYS have socks on my feet. I do have neurapothy and KNOW I SHOULD always have shoes or slippers on....but I can't convince myself to wear them.
Anyways, I told her that I put tons of lotion on my feet and legs and she said what happens is the lotion just rubs in and isnt "held" onto the skin....Okay that doesn't make sense....but it does if you were in my head. But the Vasaline is "held" onto the skin and so she said to rub my feet ad lower legs down with vasaline and put socks on my feet.

So I just wanted to pass that on to you all.

deedum 12-16-2011 04:58 PM

wow, I use lotion to on my legs and feet. Guess I will try vasaline. Thanks for the info.

Scissor Queen 12-16-2011 05:12 PM

I use Infinite Aloe. It's not greasy like Vaseline but it totally cures my eczema. I use Heel Tastic on my heels and feet.

ksdot417 12-16-2011 05:27 PM

Thanks for the info. That explains why my feet are still so dry and rough even after all the lotion I use. I think I'll give the Infinite Aloe a shot.

Airwick156 12-16-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 4787328)
I use Infinite Aloe. It's not greasy like Vaseline but it totally cures my eczema. I use Heel Tastic on my heels and feet.

Where do you find Heel Tastic at? Never heard of that product.:)

QKO 12-16-2011 05:29 PM

Aquaphor was recommended to me by my dermatologist. It's vaseline-based and contains other healing things. You put it on when your legs are still damp from the shower. It really works for me on my legs here in the dry climate of high-desert Nevada.

Airwick156 12-16-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ksdot417 (Post 4787377)
Thanks for the info. That explains why my feet are still so dry and rough even after all the lotion I use. I think I'll give the Infinite Aloe a shot.

Your welcome ksdot.

sweetpee 12-16-2011 05:36 PM

Please try this. I am a diabetic also and I have really soft feet. 1 large jar vaseline, 1 large baby lotion, 2 jars of vitamine E save lotion. You can get the cheap stuff at Dollar General, but I do buy the good Baby lotion. This stuff smells great and works wonders. I have been making this for years. You just empty all the jars in a big bowl and mix really good. You can use the empty bottles to put the mixture back in and even put it in pretty jars. I hope you try this. Let me know.

Annaquilts 12-16-2011 05:43 PM

My DS 9 has severe excema and vaseline is what he uses. It is supposed to be the best. Other products would be lanolin but some people develop allergies to that and it is pricey.

CarrieC 12-16-2011 06:07 PM

My oncologist put me onto vaseline for my feet. After I had surgery, and I was in radiation treatment for whatever reason my feet and legs got dry - like a desert. My Dr said only vaseline - slather it on. Sleep with it on and cover my feet with bulky socks. Works great!

I think I'll try Sweetpea's idea though - that sounds interesting!