Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Crochet vs. Knitting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/crochet-vs-knitting-t173798.html)

txstitcher 12-30-2011 07:04 PM

Crochet vs. Knitting

What's the difference between crochet and knitting?

I've tried knitting, but didn't fair well!

Thanks!

Prism99 12-30-2011 07:41 PM

I find crochet easier. Crochet uses a single hook and you don't have to worry about dropped stitches (my biggest problem). I like the Japanese crochet patterns *much* better than American crochet patterns. American patterns are all in words; Japanese are in diagrams. The diagrams are much easier for me to understand. Once you learn the basic crochet stitch, most of the other stitches simply involve increasing the number of times you wrap the yarn around the needle (and number of times you pull the needle through a loop).

tsnana2000 12-30-2011 07:43 PM

Crochet is easier and goes faster than knitting. I do both, but I like knitting better, most likely because my Grandmother used to knit so it makes me feel close to her.

erstan947 12-30-2011 07:56 PM

I find knitting uses less thread or yarn. I prefer to crochet over knitting but my passion now is quilting:)

Tartan 12-30-2011 08:17 PM

I think crocheting is easier than knitting. I am a very slow knitter and I also have trouble sometimes keeping a pattern straight. If you goof up a pattern line you have to go back CAREFULLY and fix it. With crochet you make a goof and it's easy to fix and move on. You don't have to worry about dropped stitches messing up your work. Lately I have been intrigued with the Afghan stitch where you use an extra long crochet hook to crochet squares. So many fun things to do, so little time.

Rusty's Mama 12-30-2011 08:25 PM

I both knit and crochet. I prefer knitting for sweaters - I think they have a nicer fit and are less balky. I agree that crocheting is quicker and I started crocheting dishcloths. However, I also like the feel of the knit dishcloth better than the crocheted one which was much stiffer and balkier.

starshine 12-30-2011 08:35 PM

I had learn to knit from a very knowledgeable woman, and taught myself basic crochet. I feel more comfortable with knitting as I have more confidence. I don't know why but I seem to have a bit harder time with crocheting and following patterns. Maybe it comes from not being too sure about what I'm doing.

Peckish 12-30-2011 09:00 PM

I agree with Rusty's Mama, I prefer knitting for sweaters, the fit is so much better than crocheted sweaters. I like to crochet blankets, I can do it without looking.

gramajo 12-30-2011 09:47 PM

I enjoy knitting, but crocheting and me do not get along at all. I don't have a problem with gauge when knitting, but have an awful time with it when I TRY to crochet. Somehow it starts out 6" wide & after a few rows is much narrower. It isn't worth the frustration.

annthreecats 12-31-2011 02:42 AM

I find crocheting easier to do than knitting. When I knit, I constantly worry about dropped stitches. I think that knitted material is much softer than crocheted material. They are both great hobbies.