Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Doctor's Office Bonus (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/doctors-office-bonus-t174522.html)

LDB 01-05-2012 06:11 AM

Doctor's Office Bonus

My husband recently had a surgical repair to his rotator cuff. When we went to have the stitches removed, the nurse used a brand new sterile pair of forceps and surgical scissors. Sadly for those of us who are ecologically minded, these are specifically designed for single use. Rather than simply disposing of these tools, the nurse asked if we had a use for them. Nice sharp pointed scissors with a tip cover and forceps? You betcha I had a use for them. At least for the scissors. Not sure about the forceps. If you have an event where you have stitches removed, be sure to ask for the scissors if the are simply going to be dispose of in the trash.

raedar63 01-05-2012 06:26 AM

I am a nurse and often collect these, and yes these are wonderful for many things, Fish hooks when fishing and pulling a needle through though layers.

Stitchnripper 01-05-2012 06:27 AM

I asked for, and got mine, the last time I had stitches. they are very handy.

pinkberrykay 01-05-2012 06:47 AM

Thanks for the tip. I may have to have rotator cuff surgery in the near future and ill be sure to ask for mine.

Beachbound 01-05-2012 08:09 AM

My DH had gallbladder surgery on New Year's Eve but they used staples. I wonder what they use to take staples out? You have me wondering!!

cmw0829 01-05-2012 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay (Post 4844082)
Thanks for the tip. I may have to have rotator cuff surgery in the near future and ill be sure to ask for mine.

Pink, having a husband who had this surgery, please find something less severe to get these tools!!!! :)

sahm4605 01-05-2012 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound (Post 4844434)
My DH had gallbladder surgery on New Year's Eve but they used staples. I wonder what they use to take staples out? You have me wondering!!

they use a weird staple remover cutter tool. After both c-secs from my kids I had staples and that is what they used. It was not very pleasant for having the staples removed after a c-sec. especially when the staples had gotten stuck in the skin. (don't ask me how but a couple didn't want to come out easily)

imdelagarza62 01-05-2012 10:17 AM

Yes the only thing to use the staple remover for is the staples that come on cartons, otherwise I can't think of anything. I am a retired OB nurse and had to use these quite often. The forceps can be used in lots of ways for pulling or reaching small items.

Buckeye Rose 01-05-2012 10:18 AM

My husband has been hospitalized for surgeries (is a good thing - transplant) and having been there for many weeks we collected lots of useful tools! There were several pairs of scissors for suture removal, hemostats (clamps) that are great for bindings and such, adhesive removers wipes which are great for cleaning sticky stuff from needles, and then of course the bags and bags of skin care products. I kept everything till I got home and then sorted out what we can use and gave away the rest. I don't think I will ever have to buy bath soap again.

thepolyparrot 01-05-2012 12:01 PM

Hemostats are great for turning points (in collars or cuffs) or short tubes. Slide the tube over the hemostat to the end, clamp the end and pull the tube off the hemostat.