Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When do you put binding on? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-do-you-put-binding-t181583.html)

Sewflower 03-04-2012 06:45 AM

When do you put binding on?

I know this is a dumb question but when do you put the binding on? Before you quilt, after quilting is done, or does it matter? I have done both but never knew which was right. Please let me know because i don't want to be busted by the Quilt Police.

fluffynan 03-04-2012 06:50 AM

Hi Sewflower, I have always put the binding on after quilting the sandwich and squaring the quilt. This is how I was taught at the classes I have taken, also what I have read in the various books I use for inspiration. Not to say that there are not other ways and I am sure others will let you know what they do.
The quilt police have no jurisdiction over you!! Down with anyone who thinks that they are the quilt police.
Sue

lfletcher 03-04-2012 06:58 AM

I have always put it on last after the quilting. I wouldn't worry about the Quilt Police, though. I think it's a myth.

Scissor Queen 03-04-2012 07:19 AM

You should always put the binding on last. Quilting will "shrink" the top just a bit and make it a little smaller than the backing.

DogHouseMom 03-04-2012 07:19 AM

I've done both ... on the same quilt.

Normally I quilt it first, that way I don't have to worry about running into the binding with my quilting stitches. When quilting near the side - I can just run the machine off the side and I don't have to worry about burrying or tying off those particular threads.

That said, once binding was complete if I see an area that needs more quilting attention I don't hesitate to quilt some more on it.

joyce888 03-04-2012 07:45 AM

I never knew anyone who put binding on before quilting. I've always done it as the last step. But to each his own.

Silver Needle 03-04-2012 07:51 AM

If you are hand stitching the binding to the back after stitching it on the front....Don't trim away the excess batting and backing. Line the edge of the binding with your top and machine stitch it on. Then take it to your cutting table and trim leaving a little more than you think you need. When you roll the binding to the back to hand stitch, the binding should be nice and stuffed full of batting and fabric. Not so much it's hard to stitch just full. This is one thing a quilt judge will look for. Even if there are no quilt police the judges look for this for a reason. A full binding will wear less than one that is not full,

Sadiemae 03-04-2012 10:08 AM

Quilt first, bind last.

jeemmerling621 03-04-2012 10:20 AM

It only matters if you think it matters! You say you've done it before. Did you get the same results as doing it after quilting? If so, who cares? Are you going to be showing your quilts in competitions? If not, throw away the rule book and make up your own rules :).

maryb119 03-04-2012 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5030100)
If you are hand stitching the binding to the back after stitching it on the front....Don't trim away the excess batting and backing. Line the edge of the binding with your top and machine stitch it on. Then take it to your cutting table and trim leaving a little more than you think you need. When you roll the binding to the back to hand stitch, the binding should be nice and stuffed full of batting and fabric. Not so much it's hard to stitch just full. This is one thing a quilt judge will look for. Even if there are no quilt police the judges look for this for a reason. A full binding will wear less than one that is not full,

Exactly what I was going to tell her! I lost points at a quilt show because my binding was not "full" enough. I don't trim away the backing or batting until after I stitch on the binding. I think it doesn't get those anoying little puckers in the back becaue it lays flatter with the extra fabric on.