Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Queen size quilt, flannel for backing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/queen-size-quilt-flannel-backing-t191367.html)

tngal22 06-10-2012 11:42 AM

Queen size quilt, flannel for backing?

After several months, I finally have my husband's military uniform quilt top done. He seems very adament (sp?) about using flannel for the backing. I am ok with this as it is for him and know to pre-wash since it will shrink but what brand is ok. Is JoAnn's ok or do you recommend ordering from a higher quality place?

I really would like to work on this while our DD is visiting grandparents this coming week. Any suggestions. Thanks!

Oh quilt top is approx 100" x 85".

dunster 06-10-2012 12:02 PM

I have heard very good things about Connecting Threads flannel. I'll be buying mine from there from now on. They come out with new patterns periodically.

tjradj 06-10-2012 12:39 PM

The only large quilt I've made with flannel backing was a queen size. It turned out to be very heavy - so if that's what you like - great. Make sure you wash the flannel well - I wash mine twice, in hot water AND run them through a hot dryer each time. That way the fluffies are out and all the shrinkage is out.

ckcowl 06-10-2012 12:53 PM

I LOVE flannels from Benartex! also Moda Woolies are nice flannels-
I've used some really nice (wide backs-90"- 108" wide) flannels from Fabric.com too. i don't shop at Joannes so can not compare or comment on what they have these days- i became upset with their low quality/high prices a long time ago. when i don't want to piece my backing i use the wide ones- when i don't mind piecing-really have it in my head i have to use a particular one i use the benartex flannels. i also love to use flannels for quilt backings

tngal22 06-10-2012 05:53 PM

Thanks! I will look into the Bernatex. I am wanting a solid. And he wants it to be heavy and warm, thus the reason he wants flannel. It is his quilt, so I am not going to suggest anything else unless I can't find something I like to match it.

fred singer 06-10-2012 05:56 PM

oh that sounds like a fantastic quilt that you made up for your husband .

Pat625 06-10-2012 06:01 PM

I would spend the extra to get top quality flannnel...I love usiung flannel as a backing, because I like the added warmth. I used to get mine from the LQS, but now they are closed. I will be watcing this for some good source suggestions

Neesie 06-10-2012 06:24 PM

When you dry the flannel (especially the first time), make sure to check the lint filter, often! I just washed/dried six yards and I could've stuffed a small pillow, with the lint! :shock:

Silver Needle 06-10-2012 07:29 PM

SewBatik online store sells wide flannels. Their batiks are nice and I have felt their flannel at quilt shows. I assume it's nice or I would have taken specific notice because I order wide backing for clients from then. They have two different design shadings in black (tuxedo).

wattse2000 06-10-2012 08:42 PM

I really can't say how strongly I would NOT recommend Joann's flannel. I just lived through a devastating quilt disaster involving a bleed-through with a flannel backing. Don't do it!!!