Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   e-readers advice please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/e-readers-advice-please-t193162.html)

jemma 06-29-2012 06:23 PM

e-readers advice please

hi --need some help choosing one-- my sight is deteriorating[macular degeneration] and love to read ive been advised to get the 10 inch one but what type to choose i know this community will hve the answer it knows every thing jean

Silver Needle 06-29-2012 06:38 PM

I love my iPad. I know they are more expensive but you don't need to get the newest one. I have the iPad2 and it meets all my needs just fine. It has applications for downloading books from libraries as well as purchased books like Kindle. The screen is quite large and you can resize things for reading like here on the forum with just a pinch of your fingers. Also you can adjust the lighting to what works best for you. You can watch YouTube sewing videos as well. I signed up for Kay England's Civil War Craftsy class with my iPad and am watching the classes on it. I recommend the iPad2 because it is considerably lighter in weight than the first one. If cost is not an issue then I'm sure the newest one is even better. I use mine to read books all the time. I also am a big reader. Also if your eyes get tired you can download audio books from the library and listen to them.

mom-6 06-29-2012 06:51 PM

I have the Nook Simple Touch and like it. However I wish I had waited till they came out with the new 'Glow" one.

PABerard 06-29-2012 07:57 PM

It is absolutely a personal preference, but for reading I love the Kindle. It is just like reading a book, if that is all you want it to do. I have an IPad, and love it, but the back light is tiring on my eyes and impossible to read outside in the sunlight. You kind of need to figure out your needs (or your son's) and then look into your options of Kindle, Nook or IPad. If you have a Barnes and Noble close to you, you can try them out. And I think the Kindles are at Staples now. Good luck ~ Pat

Neesie 06-29-2012 08:22 PM

We have an iPad and in addition to reading books, you can look at maps, use Google Earth, play games, check the weather, send mail, surf the internet, etc.

Mellina 06-30-2012 03:22 AM

I have the 1st ipad and I love it. Plus I have the nook color. The nook has a small screen. Since you are having trouble with your eyes I would go with the ipad.

Rose Marie 06-30-2012 06:15 AM

The Kindle Fire is back lit and easy on the eyes. I think you can adjust the font size also but havnt checked on that.
I only download free books since Amazon over charges for new books. There are several free book sites and so far Ive read a dozen books and only one I did not like.

romanojg 06-30-2012 06:16 AM

I don't know what you have in your are but try going into a store where you can see them. I have the Nook and I love both of them and you can make the fonts pretty large. Barnes and Nobles carries them in the stored and online but I know you can get them other places as well. I think you should check them out before buying because they aren't all alike and won't all display alike. Good luck and I'm sorry about your sight.

I just wanted to add that you could also consider getting a netbook; a small laptop. Most of the ereaders have free ereaders for the laptops that you can download and it's not to big to carry with you and it's cheaper than an Ipad. You can use more than one ereader like from Sony, Nook, Kindle, etc.

MaryStoaks 06-30-2012 06:16 AM

I have the Kindle DX, it has a big screen, I love it but with vision problems I would recomend a screen that is backlit. Perhaps an iPad would be better for you.

nativetexan 06-30-2012 07:40 AM

I got the Kindle Keyboard. no light but you can change the Font size larger, which i did.