Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Forget how to spell words (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/forget-how-spell-words-t208287.html)

jcrow 12-12-2012 11:48 AM

Forget how to spell words

I'm 58 and have been having a hard time remembering how to spell words that I use to have no trouble spelling. Well, I figured out a little trick. Maybe everyone already know this, but someone might not and this might help. When I'm here on the board typing and it shows that I'm spelling a word incorrectly, I open a new page and go to "Google" and type the word in "Google" the way I am spelling it and it pops up correctly. I copy it and then come back to the Board and paste it in my post and finish my sentence. It's so nice and easy and I don't feel quite so ignorant. Hope this helps someone.

Chasing Hawk 12-12-2012 11:55 AM

I have a setting checked somewhere that puts a red line under a misspelled word. Then I right click the word and several options of the word show up. The one I am usually trying to spell is first on the list.

BellaBoo 12-12-2012 01:24 PM

I use spell check program too, if the word is misspelled it's underlined, click on it and the right spelling is shown. There are many free ones online to choose from.

Peckish 12-12-2012 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 5715893)
I have a setting checked somewhere that puts a red line under a misspelled word. Then I right click the word and several options of the word show up. The one I am usually trying to spell is first on the list.

Ditto. :thumbup:

QuiltnNan 12-12-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 5715893)

same for me!

Dragonomine 12-13-2012 05:39 AM

I use Google all the time for spell checks!

PJisChaos 12-13-2012 05:57 AM

Oh my gosh!, Google is my dearest friend. LoL! I always have a Google tab open, anytime my browser is open. I would be so lost without it for sure.

Jingle 12-13-2012 07:21 AM

I'm 67 and have the same problem sometimes. Other times isn't so bad. Spelling use to be my strong point but, not so much anymore.

alwayslearning 12-13-2012 07:28 AM

My Google task bar has a spell check on it. I really appreciate that so many try to communicate clearly. I find misspelling distracting and I loose the sense of a message. I guess I am lucky that my nieces and nephews are tolerant of their old fashioned aunt. The generations have always had a gap in communicating but I am afraid with these new devices that gap is going to be a chasm. I do not know how much the shortcuts taken in writing is spilling over into speech, but eventually it will. To me even the simplest are ambiguous: LOL (used here frequently): does that mean Laugh Out Loud or Lots of Luck?

0tis 12-13-2012 08:24 AM

I am in the same boat - I am 47 and spelling was never a problem - I was a spelling bee champ in my school - but I have the same problem - I think those new brain games they have for us - really help clear the cobwebs out of our brains - if we don't use it we lose it. I still like me good old fashioned dictionary - my kids wonder why I use that book - to me its an old friend - I can find anything I need to know in my dictionary- and I use google too.