Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is the customer "always" right? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/customer-always-right-t209748.html)

Buckeye Rose 12-31-2012 01:18 PM

Is the customer "always" right?

I am in process of making a quilt for a customer who wants a combination of the OSU "O" (with black, gray and red borders) and adding some outer borders in browns and tans so the quilt kind of blends into her bedroom. Being a Buckeye fan, I love making the "O", but don't understand adding browns and tans. If the biggest part of a quilt is scarlet red, gray, and black....how does it blend with a room that is mostly brown? I guess I see it as a Buckeyes quilt and adding anything but gray or red is a travesty. It's a paying job and she will get it the way she wants....but it will also have my name label on it, so others will know who made it that way. How do you make something when you can't see the beauty in it? Am I being unreasonable....too much of a true fan?

QuiltnMyra 12-31-2012 01:22 PM

You could do a 'mock up' and consult with her again. Perhaps there is a compromise. Good luck

jillmc 12-31-2012 01:26 PM

I'm with you, Rose.........no way should there be brown/tan on a Buckeye quilt!! Just sayin'............... :)

mcfay 12-31-2012 01:31 PM

I think since she's a paying customer I would do it with at least 1/2 the money down in case she don't like it afterwards the not put my label on it.

kookey426 12-31-2012 01:46 PM

I agree..I just made a OSU quilt for my DSIL! Maybe a mock up would be the way to go! The only brown I could see would be the buckeye! Good luck!

Scissor Queen 12-31-2012 01:57 PM

When it's all said and done it's her quilt. It doesn't matter if it's your taste or colors or whatever. The only thing that matters is she's paying for it and it's her quilt.

Tartan 12-31-2012 02:07 PM

Ideally you could add a border with a print that contains all the colours asked for. That way the center will satisfy your creative ideal and edge will satisfy her bedroom requirements. If you can't find a print that combines the colour, I would add a piano key border and add in the extra colours. Black/grey/red/brown/ tan are not bad together, be glad she didn't want turquoise or yellow.:D

Skittl1321 12-31-2012 02:17 PM

I agree with the idea of making a mock-up to show her why you don't think the colors will work together. Because if they look bad in the end, she'll be an unhappy customer, even if it was her idea!!!

But if that is what she wants, the customer is definitely right, or her payment goes elsewhere...

dakotamaid 12-31-2012 02:27 PM

I agree with mcfay and not put my label on it unless you both can come to an agreement on the colors and layout. Doing a mockup on EQ might be the ticket for her to see how it will look. :)

lynnie 12-31-2012 02:30 PM

Show her a color mock up with markers or crayons.