Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question for hand quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-hand-quilters-t214125.html)

teddysmom 02-18-2013 04:41 AM

Question for hand quilters

I'm fairly new to hand quilting and have had several different answers to this question. Do I start in the middle of the quilt, quilt the width of the quilt in one direction, then turn the quilt to do that same row to the other side of the quilt OR do I quilt in a circular motion always working my way to the outside?

Hinterland 02-18-2013 05:01 AM

It depends on whether you're quilting in a hoop or without a hoop, or in a frame.

When I quilt in a hoop or without one, I start in the center and quilt in a circular motion on my way to the outside.

I usually quilt in a frame, and in the frame I start in the center of the row, quilt toward the edge, then go back to the center and quilt to the other side. And because my frame has 3 poles, I start at the beginning of the quilt.

The theory is I don't want to quilt in any puckers. If I quilt this way, I smooth out the backing and top.

I hope this helps.

Janet

dd 02-18-2013 05:04 AM

I've always worked from the center out. So yes, I work kinda in circles. Kinda the way my life goes.lol

teddysmom 02-18-2013 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland (Post 5869519)
It depends on whether you're quilting in a hoop or without a hoop, or in a frame.

When I quilt in a hoop or without one, I start in the center and quilt in a circular motion on my way to the outside.

I usually quilt in a frame, and in the frame I start in the center of the row, quilt toward the edge, then go back to the center and quilt to the other side. And because my frame has 3 poles, I start at the beginning of the quilt.

The theory is I don't want to quilt in any puckers. If I quilt this way, I smooth out the backing and top.

I hope this helps.

Janet

I'm using a small floor frame. So which way is best?

lfw045 02-18-2013 06:16 AM

There is really no "best" way. What ever is the most comfortable for you is your "best" way. Honest.

Iamquilter 02-18-2013 06:24 AM

I hand quilt with a floor frame and start on the outside and work towards the center and never have any problems with puckering.

KimS 02-18-2013 06:33 AM

I quilt on a floor frame or hoop and always start in the middle. It depends on what pattern I'm quilting as to the direction I go in but always from the middle and work out toward the edges.

Tartan 02-18-2013 06:38 AM

I have a Q-snap floor frame and I start in the middle and work to the sides. You quilt in a hoop so I would thread bast the sandwich and then position the hoop middleish and work out in overlapping lines across/down the quilt. The reason you advance in a march to the edge is so that if there are any wrinkles, you can get them to the edge of the quilt without a pucker. This is my understanding, someone correct me if I am in error.

MaryMo 02-18-2013 06:38 AM

I'm interested in this too because I never know which is the "right" way. Thanks for all the responses. I now know whatever way I can get it done is the right way, just making sure it looks good.

jolo 02-18-2013 06:41 AM

I use both a hoop and a floor frame. But with both I start in the middle out. That is the way my Mom taught me but do whatever suits you. If the layers are basted well(either with pins or stitched) I dont think it would matter.