Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does a block of High Heels have any appeal? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-block-high-heels-have-any-appeal-t214932.html)

NancyHarcourt 02-26-2013 10:48 AM

Does a block of High Heels have any appeal?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi. I'm a designer. Would you kindly help me decide whether to pursue this new design? I don't wear high heels myself, but I'm fascinated that they exist in so many designs and that so many women love them. Would a block based on a stylized high heel have any appeal? Here are three layouts that include 16 blocks, 8 each of two different configurations of color and orientation. This block design lends itself to many rather wild "spiky" layouts. What do you think?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398190[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398191[/ATTACH]

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-26-2013 10:56 AM

It's a neat block, but if you had not said "high heels" I would have never realized that was what it was intended to be. It looks more like some kind of stars to me.

chips88 02-26-2013 11:06 AM

neat blocks.. the 2nd one is what i like...

NancyHarcourt 02-26-2013 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 5890110)
It's a neat block, but if you had not said "high heels" I would have never realized that was what it was intended to be. It looks more like some kind of stars to me.

Thanks for your input. Perhaps I should show a picture of a single block so the high heels are easier to see. Imagine two shoes on their sides in a square box. This block would measure 10" square, and each of the layouts shown above contain 8 of these blocks and 8 of the other color combination, which is a mirror image of this one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398199[/ATTACH]

rush88888 02-26-2013 11:17 AM

i didn't see high heels either. i see them only because they were pointed out. i thought it was some variation of a southwest pattern.

quiltstringz 02-26-2013 11:22 AM

I love the block - would it be paper pieced? How hard would it be?

NancyHarcourt 02-26-2013 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 5890155)
I love the block - would it be paper pieced? How hard would it be?

I try to keep the construction more simple than it looks. I wouldn't design this for paper piecing, just regular patchwork piecing. I could write instructions for strip-piecing the center panel as well as constructing it from triangles and parallelograms. Then the left and right panels would just involve squares and split rectangles. So it wouldn't be an easy quilt, but it wouldn't be ridiculously difficult either.

MadQuilter 02-26-2013 11:55 AM

I see the heels in the single block (although mine are usually the same color in the box and that would lose the concept in this design). Once you put more blocks together, I don't see the heels at all. Maybe because the spike of the heel angles inward (not a graceful way to walk for sure).

greensleeves 02-26-2013 09:41 PM

While not what a high heel really looks like, this has a very "modern" look. I can see where stitching and color choice would make a wonderful modern quilt. Sometimes its good to trick the eye a little.

justflyingin 02-26-2013 11:20 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't have appeal to some. I'm sure that with interesting color and fabric choices, the actual high heels could be seen clearly. I saw them in the designs and think they are neat.

However, I'm not particularly interested in making one myself, but I'd think someone would be.

I try to stay away from triangles. :)