Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Tri-Flo (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/tri-flo-t218655.html)

ArizonaKAT 04-09-2013 06:46 AM

Tri-Flo

The little Singer Shop inside of our Jo Ann's now sells Tri-Flo instead of Singer oil. It's more expensive (like double). I picked some up over the weekend.

OKLAHOMA PEACH 04-09-2013 07:28 AM

Tri-flo has teflon added, don't know how it would work, sure wouldn't want to mess up my FW, waiting for someone smarter to answer this thread.

SteveH 04-09-2013 07:41 AM

I think you will be pleased with the results. I know I am SOLD. Nothing lubes up the REALLY old ones like tri-flow.

I did an interesting test the other night. I lubed a joint with tri-flow and then heated it with my heat gun until it was dry. It became a bit stiff but only for a moment, once I applied enough umph to move it it spun freely again. Not as well as when wet but still smooth. Not exactly scientific, but interesting non the less

Candace 04-09-2013 08:29 AM

Don't put it inside motors but I use Tri-flow and Tri-flow grease exclusively.

Mom3 04-09-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5988929)

Same here.

J Miller 04-09-2013 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5988929)

+3

I do not use regular sewing machine oil at all for lubing machines anymore. I use only Tri-Flow. That includes our Feather Weight.

Tri-Flow oil for the oil places
Tri-Flow grease for the gears
Singer Motor Lube ( grease in the tube ) for Singer motors
Regular sewing machine oil for other motors

I am satisfied that the Teflon in the Tri-Flow poses no chance of damage and actually helps the oil do it's job.

Joe

miriam 04-10-2013 02:49 AM

I'm the poster child for Tri-Flow.... not really but I do use it - the other stuff has paraffin in it. Who know what is in 3-in-! oil but it sets up like concrete.

kydeb 04-10-2013 05:18 AM

I bought Tri-Flow oil and grease specifically for my Featherweight I recently bought and plan to use it for all my other vintage machines. From what I read on the Featherweight experts sites, it's the ONLY thing to use!!

pflum1 04-11-2013 04:48 AM

I have use Tri-flow for years and never had a problem. I started using it on motorcycle chains, then on house & car door lock. Finally got to my sewing room and haven't used anything else since I found it years ago. It doesn't gum up or get hard. It dries and dirt don't stick to it. Really a great produced.

Linda - K. 04-12-2013 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT (Post 5988685)
The little Singer Shop inside of our Jo Ann's now sells Tri-Flo instead of Singer oil. It's more expensive (like double). I picked some up over the weekend.

What JoAnn's is it that you found this Tri-Flo? I saw it at the Ace in Sun City (99th & Bell) but didn't need any at the time. The JoAnn's on 83rd (shopping center location) & Bell didn't have it that I saw. I'm back in WA now but just wondering if I need it for my old machine in the condo when I return in the fall.