Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Portable bobbin winder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/portable-bobbin-winder-t219215.html)

pyffer3 04-15-2013 11:23 AM

Portable bobbin winder

Pros and cons of using a portable bobbin winder, please? A friend of a friend suggested (strongly) that one should invest in a portable bobbin winder. She said that if would save my machine by not using that feature and then I wouldn't have to stop whatever I am working on if I run out of bobbin thread to thread new bobbins. (I usually keep at least 6 bobbins with the color thread for the project I am currently sewing). I have been reading a lot of posts on different gadgets and am trying not to buy everything that sounds so darn good! Besides, I just don't have the storage space for every little gadget that might only get used once or twice. Thanks, ya'll!!!

romanojg 04-15-2013 11:36 AM

They can be good but know that not all machines can use those bobbins. I have a Viking and because it winds the thread differently I can't use mine for it, I can use it for my Kenmore though. It really doesn't take that long to wind bobbins on my machine so I rarely use it for that. I got it to wind bobbins with different colors of thread for my applique so that I'm not taking the whole spool with me when I'm on the go.

QuiltE 04-15-2013 11:58 AM

:D If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! :D

If all is working fine right now, why try to reinvent the proverbial wheel?

BellaBoo 04-15-2013 01:11 PM

I have one of the first ones. The new ones are better. My DGD loved it. She filled bobbins for me, and filled bobbins and filled bobbins. LOL. I bought every package of bobbins Walmart had that summer. I wast taking filled bobbins by the dozen to guild to use for handsewing, applique, whatever. I still have a shoebox filled with different colored bobbins. It was worth buying because my DGD was so proud to help me with my sewing. One thing I did. I took the bottom off and put in a heavy weight. It keeps the winder upright and it won't dance around.

Jingle 04-15-2013 01:22 PM

I used mine for a short while, not a big deal. My Daughter was too smart and savvy to buy one.

Txsuthrn 04-15-2013 02:03 PM

Will it wind Pfaff bobbins?

charsuewilson 04-15-2013 03:40 PM

I originally bought mine to wind bobbins for my Pfaff, because I didn't have too many extra bobbins. It worked great. Then the bobbin winder in my Kenmore went out. So, now I keep it at the Kenmore to wind those bobbins. It's great there, too.

Nammie to 7 04-15-2013 03:44 PM

I don't have one and don't see the need for one. It's never been an issue to have to wind a bobbin when I'm sewing or embroidering. Winding the bobbins has not caused machine issues either. Would rather spend my money on fabric.

mcdaniel023 04-15-2013 03:47 PM

I sold mine at my garage sale. I didn't have a need for it.

mommaB 04-15-2013 03:55 PM

I have one of the old ones and I think it didn't work on the Vision, but the new one does I think. I use it to wind a bunch before I quilt or to go to a class, matter of fact I don't think I've ever wound a bobbin on my pfaff (2038). And my poor old singer..it can still wind, but would rather not! I guess I would say if its not cumbersome to wind bobbins on your machine and you don't mind doing it, why buy something else?