Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Using shelf liner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/using-shelf-liner-t225114.html)

Joanlc123 07-04-2013 07:54 AM

Using shelf liner

Recently saw a post on using shelf liner to prevent ruler from slipping. Exactly how do I do this? By the way, I'm left-handed. Joanlc, Warwick, RI

mike'sgirl 07-04-2013 08:04 AM

Never heard of this, but I am interested in the answer. :)

nativetexan 07-04-2013 08:17 AM

I would think you then couldn't see through the ruler. there is INVisi-grip that comes on a roll. it's see through and slightly clings to the back of the ruler. like cling wrap for kitchen use. just trim it a tad smaller than the ruler you want to put it on. JoAnn's may have it. my newer rulers are Omni-grip and don't move on me.

Tartan 07-04-2013 10:01 AM

I imagine you could lay the shelf liner on top of your fabric (away from the fabric edge but still under where your ruler would be) lay your ruler down and cut off your fabric strip. I put invisigrip on the back of my rulers and it does help. There are many different products available for rulers. I think creative grids has little grippy circles also.

cjsews 07-04-2013 11:17 AM

Use a small piece of the rubber shelf liner between your fabric and ruler. It is not a permanent stick to your ruler so you can move it wherever you need to avoid blocking your ruler markings. But the thinnest liner you can find, like you would find at a Dollar Store. It is also good to put under your foot pedal is it moves on you.

sewmary 07-04-2013 08:07 PM

I Have a template for quilting that I got from my dealer. She used shelf liner and cut small, small pieces of the liner and attached to the ruler inplaces with double stick tape. She also stuck some pieces to the top side. That ruler holds steady as I quilt around it. The pieces of liner on the top keep my fingers from slipping.

I bought a roll of shelf liner at the dollar store. Just need to get some double stick tape and I am going to fix all my rulers and templates. just small pieces taped inspots will work great.

Blackberry 07-05-2013 04:39 AM

I was having the same problem. Then I noticed my 3# barbells that I use to exercise my arms and decided to just place them on the ruler. They work pretty well for me. Of Course it is another step, line up your ruler and set a couple of 3# or larger barbells on the ruler and cut but it works for me.

tessagin 07-05-2013 05:13 AM

All you do is put the piece of shelf liner between the material and the ruler. I usually have it to the left since I'm right handed. Doesn't really matter if you're left handed or right handed. Position it the way it works for you. I tried posting a photo and am unable to attach. very simple. Soon as I get it figured out, I will post.

tessagin 07-05-2013 05:16 AM

Don't need a big piece. I really need to figure out how to attach a photo. :(