Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Kitchen Towels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/kitchen-towels-t225411.html)

quilterj 07-08-2013 03:44 PM

Kitchen Towels

Kitchen towels just aren't made like they used to. What happened to the good ole terry cloth
towels they used to make? Does anyone know where we can find these towels? I have been
buying towels from walmart but they just don't seem to dry dishes or spills very well.

Elise1 07-08-2013 04:47 PM

I like the terry cloth kitchen towels from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I agree that Walmart towels are not very absorbent.

mighty 07-08-2013 05:02 PM

I have not been able to find any that are very good.

QuiltnNan 07-08-2013 05:12 PM

i like the waffle weave ones better. mine are looking dingy... hope i can find some more

Quiltbeagle 07-08-2013 05:44 PM

I know just what you mean, thin and not very absorbent unless you want to spend a fortune at the high end stores. I needed a new ones but the budget didn't allow for them at the time, so went to the dollar store and got a bath towel, cut it into even sized pieces and did an overlock stitch around the raw edges (I don't have a serger). They may not be the prettiest but I made six nice, thick and thirsty dish towels for $3.50.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 07-08-2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by quilterj (Post 6166867)
Kitchen towels just aren't made like they used to. What happened to the good ole terry cloth
towels they used to make? Does anyone know where we can find these towels? I have been
buying towels from walmart but they just don't seem to dry dishes or spills very well.

Oh good! I thought I was going batty! I swear I have kitchen towels from Walmart that repel water! I hate them all but have not found anything else that I want to pay for. I'll have to check Bed Bath and Beyond.

janmwalker 07-08-2013 06:22 PM

I agree as well. I have purchased really good absorbent towels from Williams Sonoma. I believe they have a website.
I recently made some from fabric that I purchased at Hancocks and it is specifically for towels and is absorbent.

cathyvv 07-08-2013 06:46 PM

Use the small hand towels sold for bathrooms. They work well. You can pretty them up by sewing a nice trim on them.

Bneighbor 07-08-2013 06:52 PM

I found that most are "too soft". I wash my towels and use only vinegar, not fabric softener, as the softener "coats" the fibers making them less absorbent.
I was recently at a high end store (way out of my price range-$60.00 for a towel). The towels were marked with a tag stating not to use fabric softener as it " may become damaged from from fabric softener voiding any warranties".
Mmm...$60.00 for a towel, it should come with a laundress and folding maid.

Painiacs 07-08-2013 07:02 PM

60.0 for a towel?? Id never use it!! Thats true shouldnt used fab softner on any towels, diapers ect. did you also know you should wash your lint trap screen every once in awhile? Gets rid of softner build up!!