Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Pattern tracing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/pattern-tracing-t226176.html)

Chasing Hawk 07-20-2013 07:55 AM

Pattern tracing

I had repeats of patterns for kids stashed all over the place. And recently I found a cute pattern for overalls for the grand daughters. Koressa, Sayra, Raiden and Bella all wear the sizes noted in the pattern. But I didn't want to buy 3 other patterns to cut up. So I went on Ebay and bought a 225 foot roll of medical paper. The stuff they put on the exam table. It looks as though it will do the job. No more buying several copies of the same pattern any more. :)

grammyp 07-20-2013 08:02 AM

I love it and use it for paper piecing, too. I stopped by my doctor's office and he gave me the ends of the rolls at no charge.

IrishNY 07-20-2013 08:23 AM

I used to do that. I had two daughters that were different sizes but usually just a size or two apart. I also wanted to keep the best patterns whole so I could have the larger size when the younger daughter got to it. I bought something that I can't recall the name of that was kind of soft and easy to fold, and stuck to the fabric better than the pattern paper. I could not see the purpose of buying more then one pattern to get different sizes.

janRN 07-20-2013 08:26 AM

I work in a doc's office and have used table paper for a lot of things. I use it for paperpiecing, tracing patterns, and lately I used it to quilt. I drew the quilting design on the paper, taped it with painters tape to the quilt and just quilted right on the paper. (I suck at FMQ so have to have lines to follow). The paper tore off without distorting the stitching and my quilt looks like I can FMQ LOL!

Ebay is a good source or if you have a medical supply store in your area you can buy one roll at a time.

nativetexan 07-20-2013 08:51 AM

There you go. more tracing paper than I ever got but you can put it to good use. I still have a small roll I got from some catalog. I used to do clothing but no more. Still, I use the tracing paper once in awhile.

pocoellie 07-20-2013 12:43 PM

I've been using that paper for years, although not so much since I've begun quilting.

mermaid 07-21-2013 03:55 AM

My favorite is the soft lightest weight interfacing. It is wonderful for laying over patterns to trace, and you can fold and store so much neater than paper. It is very inexpensive and lasts forever...not the iron on kind--just plain 'sew-in' interfacing.

maryfrang 07-21-2013 05:01 AM

I went to the local newspaper and bought end of the roll. Paper is great for a lot of things. My roll cost me less than $2. Still using my first roll.

BettyGee 07-21-2013 06:12 AM

I was happy to see your post, Chasing Hawk. Always a pleasure. I've used that paper for many years also and you are so right it saves on pattern enlargements and a host of other things.

mighty 07-21-2013 06:21 AM

Awesome!!!!!