Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   It's a mess, but it's done. Sigh (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/its-mess-but-its-done-sigh-t226685.html)

JanTx 07-27-2013 09:23 PM

It's a mess, but it's done. Sigh

2 Attachment(s)
My grandson picked out this super hero fabric while I was getting pellon at Walmart. When I turned around he had the bolt on the cutting table and was looking around innocently like "how did that get there?". He's six. So, of course, he's getting a quilt with super heroes. I'm putting a black print on the back so it's not so limited to his age.

Anyway... the pattern is wrong - for a twin size you are supposed to make 7 blocks across with 6 blocks down and two borders. That makes a short squatty quilt that will not fit a twin bed. I know this because I'd used the pattern for a different quilt and had to adjust the borders to make it fit. If you make it 6 across and 7 down it's 70 X 105 which will work. I've written the pattern designer to make her aware of this. I'm not even sure if that's the right thing to do, but that's a topic for another thread.

I didn't realize - or didn't THINK - that I was making 4 patches that were rectangles. I've done this many times with squares. So .... it MATTERED which way you put them together. So I lost the diagonal secondary pattern. I didn't realize this until I was nearly through putting the rows together and ... I just kept sewing.

The red blocks are 3 different fabrics - had to do that to have enough. I meant to use the yellow fabric as the outer border, but ended up making it more narrow to add the black outer border. Since I'll be pulling the backing over - and it's black - I thought that would work better.

You're also looking at two different bubble fabrics. I ran out of that too. Can you tell I was determined to use things from my stash to go with these super heroes? No trip back to the fabric store for me!

So - pattern written wrong, rectangles put together more wrong than right, cobbling together enough red fabric to finish the quilt, two different bubble/polka fabrics, playing with borders - a mess.

BUT - this grandboy is going to absolutely love this quilt. I've already given him a pillow case in the fabric and he asked me to make another one like it for his same-aged cousin - that's done too. Perfect is wonderful, but DONE and happily received will be okay too.

Teddybear Lady 07-27-2013 09:25 PM

It looks great! Your grandson will love it!

Raine54RN 07-27-2013 09:29 PM

You did good! Sometimes done is the best we can do and I think it looks great. Your GS will also and thats was the mist important ! Made with love, he chose the fabric, I doesn't get better than that!

TeresaP 07-27-2013 09:43 PM

I think Jantx, that your grandson won't be too interested in reading the pattern. The quilt looks great and he's sure to be most happily impressed. I certainly am, to me a mess doesn't look that good!!

justflyingin 07-27-2013 10:04 PM

I am sure that he will be focused on the focus fabric--the superheroes. The rest is "gravy" to him and doesn't matter. And boy, are you in trouble if he is starting to have opinions about quilts at the ripe old age of 6!

But isn't it sweet? You have a grandchild who actually will love and appreciate your sewing...what fun!

rebeljane 07-27-2013 10:28 PM

He will love it and not see "what you think are mistakes" No mistakes that's the way it was planned

nanacc 07-27-2013 11:35 PM

Sorry for your problems, but it looks great! He will love it!

mom-6 07-28-2013 01:13 AM

Aren't our little "helpers" wonderful! My DGS does the same thing if we go into a fabric shop.
Last time he was pulling bolts off the shelf and putting them in the basket and then telling me to go back down a different aisle and get a certain one too.
I made him choose which one he wanted most and put the rest back as I was on a budget and could only get what was really needed on that trip.
He ended up getting the Monsters U fleece blanket kit. But he only wanted the panel not the solid so I ended up with the pretty aqua piece for me.
And your DGS will think his super heroes are the best ever!

AlienQuilter 07-28-2013 01:22 AM

You're grandson will love this quilt and treasure it always.

CookyIN 07-28-2013 01:54 AM

You say it's a mess -- I say it's beautiful! It's a vibrant, colorful quilt that's perfect for a boy. Good job!