Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Farmer's Wife "Pony Club Sampler" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-farmers-wife-pony-club-sampler-t226710.html)

QuiltE 07-28-2013 06:39 AM

My Farmer's Wife "Pony Club Sampler"

7 Attachment(s)
Here's my version of The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Sampler quilt.

This was a quilt that I did along with several other wonderful Ladies, here in a Quilting Board Quilt-Along. My many thanks to them, for helping to keep me in the saddle, or more so, getting me back in the saddle, when I waned in productivity. Their inspiration and help with the how-to's was never ending. What a special group of friends they have become to me! THANK YOU PC Riders!! :D

Using the pattern/book written by Laurie Aaron Hird, our goal was to do two blocks per week, starting January 2012. There were 90 blocks, so the quilt-along was completed during 2012. I wasn't always riding with the group, and had some serious catch up to do, finishing my blocks by the end of March. Then final assembly, and to the LAQ. I did the final stitches in the binding in early June, just hours before taking it to a local Spring Fair.

With this quilt, I learned a lot about y-seams and fussy cutting while further developed my love with PPing. Too, I'd never worked much with novelty fabrics, so a change and learning point for me. I wanted the quilt to tell a story, and depict farm/rural more so than horse/pony, being that horses were insignificant in my life, and so the novelty fabrics have a mix of all aspects.

Never one to keep to the pattern, for those familiar with it, you will see some differences. I included some animal blocks to help tell my personal farm story and a Mr+Mrs Farmer! And too, you'll see some Canadiana with the maple leaf, beaver and Canada Goose, along with some of the fabric choices. Also, I just felt an Union Jack had to be included, as that was the Canadian flag for the time period of the pattern/book.

When I took it to the LAQ, we discussed the possibilities. My concern was that we keep it "adult" yet stick with the farm/rural fun theme while not letting it get looking too child-like. Every block has its own unique quilt design, which allows for a whole-cloth look, should i want to flip it over and have a pale blue quilt. I am quite pleased with her work, and tell her often, how much I appreciate the special work that she does with my quilts.

Once home, I finished the binding, complete with a red flange insert.

So, a special THANK YOU to my fellow PC Riders ... I couldn't and wouldn't have finished this, without you!!!!

Thanks for looking!!
... perhaps all the PC Riders have inspired you to do your own PC quilt? :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426589[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426590[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426591[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426592[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426594[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426597[/ATTACH]

QuiltE 07-28-2013 06:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more pics ..............
[ATTACH=CONFIG]426598[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426599[/ATTACH]

And here it is, hanging at the Spring Fair ... only hours after I finished the last stitch in the binding!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]426600[/ATTACH]

nativetexan 07-28-2013 06:43 AM

OH look at all those lovely blocks!! I spy a Scottie dog too! it's a great quilt!!

DebraK 07-28-2013 06:45 AM

great looking quilt.

ruthrings 07-28-2013 07:04 AM

I'm glad to see those ribbons on it! Wow!

mighty 07-28-2013 07:09 AM

Beautiful quilt!

BrendaK 07-28-2013 07:16 AM

Awesome, I could look at that quilt for a long time. Love all the blocks. You all did a great job. BrendaK

tucsonquilter 07-28-2013 07:22 AM

The quilt is just beautiful!

jenOSU 07-28-2013 07:35 AM

I love everything about this quit!!!

Evie 07-28-2013 07:38 AM

It's beautiful! Congratulations to you and your LAer for jobs well done.