Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Larger Ironing Board.. what do you think? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/larger-ironing-board-what-do-you-think-t227556.html)

mimmy96 08-08-2013 06:19 PM

Larger Ironing Board.. what do you think?

4 Attachment(s)
I ran across this on Pinterest... The finished size is 63"x20" THIS IS NOT MY IRONING BOARD, but I am thinking about making one like this... Was wondering what ya'll think? They take an ironing board, and put a large board on top of it to make the surface larger..... I think it might work!

ragamuffin 08-08-2013 06:40 PM

If the ironing board wobbled before you put the table top on it, I would be afraid of it. I would sooner cover a board
and put it on top of a dresser or something the height you need it. This is just my opinion. Good luck in whatever
you do.

TexasSunshine 08-08-2013 07:07 PM

My DH made me one that is 24x48. It sits on top of my work table at one end and I still have room for my large cutting mat. I really like it and I can remove it if I need the whole table for something.

Nammie to 7 08-08-2013 07:09 PM

I have a homemade big board and love it. The bottom of mine as 1 x 1 boards around the edge so it can't be pushed off the ironing board. If I need to use the regular size ironing board I just lift the top off.

jbingwell 08-09-2013 12:40 AM

DH and I made mine. It sits on a table now, but for a long time, it just sat on my ironing board, like Nammie to 7 said. Easy to make. Great to use.

NJ Quilter 08-09-2013 03:24 AM

I just fold up an old towel on one end of my cutting table for my block pressing and then have the mat on the other end for cutting/trimming. When I'm ironing yardage, I remove the cutting mat and lay a couple of towels on top of the entire cutting table. No need for another 'thing' in my already cramped 8x10 sewing room/guest room/whatever room.

CarolynMT 08-09-2013 03:29 AM

Mimi,

I am planning on doing this eventually too, I want a nice square surface for ironing. I just havent taken myself off to home depot to get the board.

I plan to bolt/screw mine to the ironing board so it doesnt wobble or fall off. If you use washers bigger than the holes in the ironing board, you can just screw it into the top in many places to stabilize the new top.

I was just going to get a plywood board the size I want, couple large washers, some wood screws. then get a bit of scrap cotton batting and some canvas fabric. Staple the batting/fabric on board, take off all the padding and covers on my ironing board. The top is very "holey" so I will then screw the board to the ironing top,

I may not be able to close the ironing board, but that is ok, it is fine as it is.

jcrilley 08-09-2013 03:34 AM

My SIL made one for me and the weight keeps it stable on my old ironing board. I LOVE it - saves so much time when pressing fabrics and quilts. It is easily removed when I need the traditional board.

P-BurgKay 08-09-2013 03:40 AM

My husband cut a large board for me, he made a C extension on the bottom of it to slide over my ironing board, to hold it in place, I covered it, and it sits on top of my ironing board. I have my grandmothers original wood ironing board, it is very sturdy.

Kris P 08-09-2013 04:23 AM

My DH made one for me for my birthday. The one difference, which I love is that it fits over my current ironing board, so I have the option of using the the pointed one for ironing shirts, etc, or setting the larger sized one on top (compression fit) and using that. I've also found it's much easier to move and transport in 2 pieces.