Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Piecing a quilt top (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/piecing-quilt-top-t230724.html)

Tribe 09-21-2013 05:38 AM

Piecing a quilt top

I get frustrated a lot when making a quilt top because I get so side tract on other things such as face book, reading different sewing/quilting boards that it takes so long to finish one quilt top or I'll put one top aside and start another, am I the only one who does this or do others have this annoying problem. Approx. How long should it take to finish a full size quilt top that's fairly uncomplicated. TIA

tessagin 09-21-2013 05:43 AM

All of what you said and more with working. I have pulled different patterns and put names on them with reference to who is getting a gifted quilt. Thinking about the holidays. If I could just sit down and get all the pieces together for one quilt, I'd be on my way. My add/sidetracking mind gets in the way! When I see people who do quilts in a day, I think OK they have absolutely nothing else going on. Not even a potty break!

HillCountryGal 09-21-2013 05:44 AM

For me, the beauty of quilting is: there is no time table. Don't think there's anything wrong with putting one project aside to start/finish another. Just enjoy the process. :cool:

auntpiggylpn 09-21-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 6305945)
For me, the beauty of quilting is: there is no time table. Don't think there's anything wrong with putting one project aside to start/finish another. Just enjoy the process. :cool:

Totally agree! And I also don't fret over not finishing a quilt; if I am working on something and I decide I am bored with it, not enjoying the process or plain just don't like it, I have given myself permission to not finish it. I no longer have items labeled "UFOs". I quilt for my enjoyment and if I am stressing over a project, I am no longer enjoying it. Too many things I want to try to waste my time on something that doesn't bring me joy. JMHO. :p

Rose Marie 09-21-2013 06:36 AM

I get the quilt top done but that's it. Putting it togather for quilting is my problem. So many tops I need to finish.

Neesie 09-21-2013 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tribe (Post 6305930)
I get frustrated a lot when making a quilt top because I get so side tract on other things such as face book, reading different sewing/quilting boards that it takes so long to finish one quilt top or I'll put one top aside and start another, am I the only one who does this or do others have this annoying problem. Approx. How long should it take to finish a full size quilt top that's fairly uncomplicated. TIA

Since I quilt for my own pleasure, I don't consider this to be a problem. If you're having trouble staying with it, once you start, try listening to music while you sew.

Nammie to 7 09-21-2013 07:21 AM

When I decide to get busy I can make a quilt top by working each afternoon for a week. It takes me longer to decide how to quilt it, then actually pin it and quilt it. That can take several months!! Piecing comes easy to me, the quilting is more difficult.

Tribe 09-21-2013 09:34 AM

Wow do I ever love this quilting community, thanks to everyone that responded to my annoying situation my frustration has lessen, much appreciation to all.

Quilt-T 09-21-2013 09:37 AM

I have all if the same problems. Sometimes going into my sewing room makes me I'll, with all if the UFOs I have. I have several just needing the binding done. But I'm distracted from work, kid's homework, husband, other kids in the States, etc. There are just not enough hours in the day for me anymore. I used to feel so inspired everyday to sew. But now my stash and my UFOs overwhelm me. I'm hoping this is just a phase and if I get back into my room the flow will begin again. Hoping to get my quilting mojo back very soon!

Boston1954 09-21-2013 09:48 AM

I have one with appliqued hearts that has been sitting for some time now, so I set myself a deadline of Feb. 14th. Maybe if you tell yourself that a particular one must be done by a certain day, it could push you a bit.