Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some inspiration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-inspiration-t235816.html)

born2quilt 12-01-2013 06:45 AM

Need some inspiration

I need some help from you wonderful ladies. I recently made a quilt from a tutorial on Missouri Star Quilt Co. It was a four patch with a snowball block. I made it in shades of blue with the white snowball block. I don't know how to quilt the snowball block. I can't do fancy feathers, etc. just stippling and loopy things. Anyone have any suggestions of what might look good in those blocks but not be beyond what I am capable of? Thanks so much. I'd post of picture but my camera won't let me download lately for some reason.

AngeliaNR 12-01-2013 08:02 AM

I'm no expert on this, but snowballs (the flowers, not the icy projectiles:) ) are made up of lots of tiny flowers. I would think stippling (maybe with a few free-form flowers mixed in) could be a good choice.

franie 12-01-2013 08:10 AM

How about a simple heart in the snowball?

thimblebug6000 12-01-2013 08:43 AM

How big is the snowball? Would echo quilting ¼" away from the seams be enough? How are you planning on quilting the 4 patches? If you wanted to stitch them in the ditch you could just continue those quilting lines down through the snowball.

Rodney 12-01-2013 08:48 AM

I'm no lady but this might work. Draw or find a simple shape (or shapes) you like that fits in the snowball. If the quilt is winter themed maybe something like simple snowflakes or snowmen would work. If not then maybe simple flowers etc. Make as many copies as you have snowballs and pin them to your quilt. Then just sew over the paper following the lines and tear the paper away when you're done. A clear space like a snowball is just begging for some decorative quilting in it.
Rodney

GagaSmith 12-01-2013 08:52 AM

Could you mark each snowball with a simple snowflake design--just straight lines? Or if it's a Christmas quilt you could do trees, stars, etc. If it's for everyday any simple design like hearts, an easy flower, leaf, etc.

Edit--looks like Rodney and I had the same idea and were posting at the same time.

Tartan 12-01-2013 09:28 AM

How do you plan to quilt the 9 Patch blocks? I like to tie or match my quilting motifs together on a quilt. If you plan on SITD on the 9 Patch with your walking foot, then I would do a straight asterisk design in the snowball. If you plan on FMQ meandering on the rest of the quilting, I would do the whole quilt in it.

stillclock 12-01-2013 09:31 AM

how about spirals?

aileen

lynnie 12-01-2013 09:58 AM

is it going to someone special like a girl for instance maybe a teddybear. I did an irish chain for my sis in law and did a shamrock in the big space for my sis in hers I did an anchor

SouthPStitches 12-01-2013 10:03 AM

I'm in the process of hand quilting a small snowball quilt top. I didn't know for the longest time how to go about quilting this pattern. Decided on using an 8-pointed star I drew on cardboard for a template. Seems to be balancing out the block nicely. It's a great retro pattern but it needs a little help to make it "pop".