Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Too tired to do the happy dance this afternoon.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/too-tired-do-happy-dance-afternoon-t238752.html)

kay carlson 01-13-2014 12:08 PM

Too tired to do the happy dance this afternoon....

I thought (questionable action on my part) that moving storage boxes out of the sewing area would be a little project taking an hour daily so I could actually spend the remaining time sewing.

Yesterday, I puttered around and gathered a few things together. Since I have more blues than anything else, I put varying yardages into the bottom of a storage box and used a smaller tray to hold the fat quarters neatly. One and done. Then, I did the greens. Two and done.

This morning, I picked up where I had left off and did the Christmas fabrics; Up North fabrics; brown-tan-rust; black; black and white; brick red-USA-Americana; red; orange-gold-yellow; etc. Before I knew it, I had another brainstorm!!!!

How about moving the storage boxes of pre-cuts out of the sewing room so the room didn't look so junkie and cluttered! Great idea, Kay. So ----- my hour this morning turned out to stretch a bit to 3.5 hours.

1.5 inch strips light and dark; 2.5 inch strips light and dark; jelly rolls; layer cakes; 2 in strips; 3 inch strips; 6 inch strips; log cabin strips in silverware type dividers; etc. are stored on plastic shelving in the finished basement. They are grouped conveniently and out of sight.

Hopefully, I won't change this new system completely by the time I get back to this project on Thursday! The pinks and purples will be calling me at that time. :-D

quiltstringz 01-13-2014 02:12 PM

Sounds like you got a lot done! Now read my lips DO NOT CHANGE THE SYSTEM - at least not for 6 months. If you do find things you wish you had done, keep a running list. Then at least if you decide to change things you can have in mind everything you wished you had and things that you don't like.

peachs 01-13-2014 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz (Post 6510857)
Sounds like you got a lot done! Now read my lips DO NOT CHANGE THE SYSTEM - at least not for 6 months. If you do find things you wish you had done, keep a running list. Then at least if you decide to change things you can have in mind everything you wished you had and things that you don't like.

that's a great idea! leave it and see how it works. then do the adjusting you need to. i'll implement that myself. thanks!

kay carlson 01-13-2014 08:09 PM

Quiltstringz and Peachs, it is now late evening and I have had a relaxing dinner with DH. Time to reflect and thank you for your excellent suggestions and supportive comments. I like the changes that I made today and intend to finish up when time allows. This has been a good day, even if I was unable to sew!

cwessel47 01-13-2014 08:17 PM

And once you get it all done.... with the new system.... you will have all kinds of time to sew! I'm organized to a degree - and then it all falls apart. At least I'm sure to know where the seam ripper is as I have three of them in all the important places! Keep up the good work.

Jackie Spencer 01-13-2014 08:26 PM

Every time I re organize, I can't find anything!! LOL

Jingle 01-14-2014 12:56 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan.

brandeesmom 01-14-2014 08:06 PM

Wow good for you! I know how hard you worked organizing, I decided to get into my blues and greens tub and ruler fold all the fabrics in that big tub. It took me a few hours and I too was tired afterwards. I had to put them back in the tub because I have no where else to put them, at least they are neatly stacked now. It's a lot of work to be neat!

johans 01-15-2014 04:59 AM

Where in the UP?

I'm between Munising & Manistique. I've also just started the same kind of project using Bonnie Hunter & Jane Ford's plans, personalized for me. Seven totes of scraps to go through. After cutting <1/4 yd. pieces into 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 1/2 & 5, plus strings of >1", I'll sort 1/4's to 1/2's by color. My personal rule is that full boxes (shoebox size totes) get made into quilts rather than adding a box. Big job, but needed and worth it (I hope)
Joann Hansen

Originally Posted by kay carlson (Post 6510691)
I thought (questionable action on my part) that moving storage boxes out of the sewing area would be a little project taking an hour daily so I could actually spend the remaining time sewing.

Yesterday, I puttered around and gathered a few things together. Since I have more blues than anything else, I put varying yardages into the bottom of a storage box and used a smaller tray to hold the fat quarters neatly. One and done. Then, I did the greens. Two and done.

This morning, I picked up where I had left off and did the Christmas fabrics; Up North fabrics; brown-tan-rust; black; black and white; brick red-USA-Americana; red; orange-gold-yellow; etc. Before I knew it, I had another brainstorm!!!!

How about moving the storage boxes of pre-cuts out of the sewing room so the room didn't look so junkie and cluttered! Great idea, Kay. So ----- my hour this morning turned out to stretch a bit to 3.5 hours.

1.5 inch strips light and dark; 2.5 inch strips light and dark; jelly rolls; layer cakes; 2 in strips; 3 inch strips; 6 inch strips; log cabin strips in silverware type dividers; etc. are stored on plastic shelving in the finished basement. They are grouped conveniently and out of sight.

Hopefully, I won't change this new system completely by the time I get back to this project on Thursday! The pinks and purples will be calling me at that time. :-D

luvTooQuilt 01-15-2014 06:26 AM

Way to go !! kudos.. Hope it helps and is more efficient for you.. :thumbup: