Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I might get to go to Paducah this spring! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-might-get-go-paducah-spring-t238831.html)

Sewnoma 01-14-2014 12:37 PM

I might get to go to Paducah this spring!

I was talking with my aunts the other day about quilts (neither of them are quilters themselves but they love quilts and think it's neat I'm a quilter like their mom was) and one of them asked me if I'd "ever heard of Paducah" :D

I said, "Of COURSE I've heard of Paducah! I'd love to go some time but it's too far for me to head out on my own." (I live in California...and no way would my DH go all the way to Kentucky with me to look at quilts, lol)

"Well," they said, "What if we all went together?"

Oh, I'm sure you can all imagine my reaction to THAT idea!! (I tried not to squeal. I really really tried.)

I adore my aunts and I can't imagine a better trip for us to go on together! Nothing is set in stone but I looked it up and realized the big quilt week is right after my birthday....so doesn't that sound like a really good excuse to go on a trip with my two favorite aunts??

I'm super excited about this idea even though I really, REALLY hate flying. But I will fly for quilts! :thumbup:

0tis 01-14-2014 12:46 PM

That sounds like fun - I am like you - I wouldn't go by myself and couldn't see my husband enjoying the trip - but he would be excited if I went - I hope you get to go and have fun.

needles3thread 01-14-2014 12:57 PM

Happy for you - it's a quilters dream place on show weekend. Don't miss Hancocks Fabric of Paducah.

MaryMo 01-14-2014 12:59 PM

I've looked into it and still dreaming ..... Do hope you all get to go; it would definitely an experience of a lifetime.

quiltstringz 01-14-2014 01:15 PM

You will have a wonderful time. I have been twice and loved each time.

BellaBoo 01-14-2014 01:45 PM

Oh it's fun to go somewhere by yourself! With a cell phone, AAA, and gas card no worries at all. Or hop on a plane and be there in a few hours. I prefer to go to quilts shows alone. I don't want to have to feel agitated when someone is tired, hungry, bored, asking if I'm ready to go, asking why I want to go look at a quilt I already looked at and so on. Been with friends/family at a big quilt show and once was enough. LOL. I have been to Paducah every year but this last one, grandbaby was born, but I will be there this year. I live about 6 hours away so I'll drive.

AliKat 01-14-2014 01:56 PM

FYI: AQS - the Paducah version?, is coming to Phoenix, Az the beginning of February. I know I hope to go. No airfare, hotel, transportation hassle. Can't beat the cost for me this year.

Sewnoma 01-14-2014 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6512637)
Oh it's fun to go somewhere by yourself! With a cell phone, AAA, and gas card no worries at all. Or hop on a plane and be there in a few hours. I prefer to go to quilts shows alone. I don't want to have to feel agitated when someone is tired, hungry, bored, asking if I'm ready to go, asking why I want to go look at a quilt I already looked at and so on. Been with friends/family at a big quilt show and once was enough. LOL. I have been to Paducah every year but this last one, grandbaby was born, but I will be there this year. I live about 6 hours away so I'll drive.

I totally get what you're saying but for me, KY is just a little too far from home. I'm a worrywart and a fearful flyer so I'm happier with a partner for a long trip like that. Anything within a day's driving distance is about my comfort zone for going solo. I go to all the local shows alone and enjoy it quite a bit, but that's at least partially because I don't have any local quilting buddies!

But I probably wouldn't be with them all day anyway. They have reasons that would probably make them have to cut things short every day and I know they wouldn't mind if I stayed out and about much longer. I think they'd expect me to! I'd get plenty of "me" time. I think it'd be a great balance between having company and freedom. Plus I really do love these two ladies and I don't see them often enough, it's worth all sorts of compromise to get to spend lots of time with them. :)

deedum 01-14-2014 08:30 PM

If you can at all go, then GO! It is fabulous, my friend and I went a couple of years ago, I mention to my dh that I plan to go this year. He offered to go with me! Now what would he do? I love southern Il and Ky area so lots to do there. He said we could make a trip of it. So sweet. One way or another I am planning on going!!!!!!!!

Quilter 65 01-15-2014 07:00 AM

What a deal! Time with favorite aunts doing something you all love. Wonderful memories to be made. I spent time at a quilt show with a niece a year or so ago. Wonderful to know the love is being passed on.