Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   The Invention of Wings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/invention-wings-t241584.html)

Rose_P 02-20-2014 09:07 AM

The Invention of Wings

is a book by Sue Monk Kidd. My book club is reading it for our March discussion. I thought I'd mention it here because one of the main characters is a quilter who stitched her life story into a quilt, and it's mentioned often and described in great detail. The book is a work of historical fiction related to abolition and women's rights. Sue Monk Kidd also wrote The Secret Life of Bees.

dakotamaid 02-20-2014 09:39 AM

Thanks for the title, sounds like one I'd like to read. :)

Sandra in Minnesota 02-20-2014 11:45 AM

Sounds like a good book. Cute little fur baby too!

ube quilting 02-20-2014 02:44 PM

TSLoB is a great book. Thanks for the info. I will have to read this one too.
peace

ntroxel 02-21-2014 05:58 AM

I really liked The Secret Life of Bees. Will put The Invention of Wings on my reading list. Thanks for info on this book.

mirish2 02-21-2014 08:23 AM

Let me know if you like it. I really liked Secret Life of Bees, but was disappointed with Mermaid Chair. My book club read "We Band of Angels" military nurses in the Phillipines during WWII. How they survived, treated patients and where they are today. They were in the same situation as the men at Bataan.

oldtnquiltinglady 02-21-2014 01:19 PM

OOOOOOOOOH, this does look like a good read. The Olympics don't last much longer, and I'll be ready for a book. Do you think her new book is at Walmart? I loved TSLoB.

Rose_P 02-22-2014 08:13 AM

Oldtnquiltinglady, I don't know for sure but Walmart would probably have it because it was an Oprah book club pick. Your library will have it, but you may have to get on a waiting list. The Kindle edition is available for "instant gratification", and you don't have to own a Kindle to read it. You can get a free Kindle reader for your computer, tablet or phone.

There are two versions of the ebook, one with and one without commentary from Oprah throughout. A lot of Amazon reviews mention this, and it seems nobody appreciated having their reading interrupted with those notes, so I bought the one without. I like to form my own opinions about a book before I hear what others think - including Oprah.

I am about 200 pages into this book and I'm finding it hard to put down. It's about Sarah and Angelina Grimke, sisters who were born into a wealthy Southern family but eventually went north during the first half of the 19th century to work for women's rights and the abolition of slavery. The story of the slaves belonging to the Grimke family, particularly a girl who was given to Sarah for her 11th birthday, is thoughtfully told as well. Even at that age, Sarah wanted nothing to do with owning another human being.

mjhaess 02-22-2014 04:27 PM

I will have to read it...Thanks...

redbreast 02-22-2014 04:34 PM

I just started reading it and so far it does not compete with Secret Life of Bees. Am hoping that it will get better as I continue to read. If I had not heard rave reviews I think I would have put it down by now. The writing does not seem to flow as her previous books but like I said, I will persevere and hopefully will be rewarded.