Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   this is how I make my ties quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/how-i-make-my-ties-quilt-t242379.html)

huntannette 03-02-2014 02:50 PM

this is how I make my ties quilt

4 Attachment(s)
First I wash my ties, than take them apart. I use muslin as foundation, here I cut them 10.5 ". I also use light iron on stabilizer, the one with glue only on one side.
I chose red a my middle color, so, I start with a red tie making sure I have the right length before I cut it. Then I iron the tie and cut a piece of stabilizer that will fit. I iron it to the back of my tie.
I also trim the sides of the tie making sure I have the width I want.

huntannette 03-02-2014 03:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some ties are a bit more sturdy so I don`t use stabilizer on them.
Them come the second tie prepared the same way as the first....I trim it the size I want then pin it to my middle tie as you can see in the photo. Then sew it and iron it open. I keep going till the muslin is coverd....I usually try and keep to 7 ties and/or pieces of ties. I trim them smaller at one end and a bit wider at the other so thy hold the tie shape....when the muslin is all covered I turn it to the back and make sure it still measures 10.5" as I trim.....I also serge the edges of the blocks....hope this all makes sense, thank you.

lfstamper 03-02-2014 03:06 PM

Very nice - thanks for sharing!

huntannette 03-02-2014 03:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here are more photos

huntannette 03-02-2014 03:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
some of you asked for a tutorial hope this helps

Phyllis nm 03-02-2014 04:50 PM

I have been making vest and ties out of brocade fabric for about 12 years.
I can not find an interfacing that will stay on the back of the brocade.
I have a heat press machine and it would not make it stay on either.
Then I was told some fabric will not hold an interfacing no matter what.
Most ties are made of rayon or silk, some are poly.
I like your method no points.

KLO 03-02-2014 04:54 PM

Boy, thanks for showing us how you do this. A friend wants me to make several pillows or wall hangings out of her father's ties for members of the family. Not sure I want to do that but your photos are very helpful and clear so I will think about it.

carolaug 03-02-2014 05:08 PM

Oh...like this one. Great Job with the Tute! Thank-you.

Phyllis nm 03-02-2014 05:09 PM

I have been making vest and ties out of brocade fabric for about 12 years.
I can not find an interfacing that will stay on the back of the brocade.
I have a heat press machine and it would not make it stay on either.
Then I was told some fabric will not hold an interfacing no matter what.
Most ties are made of rayon or silk, some are poly.
I like your method no points.

kantuckee 03-02-2014 06:39 PM

KLO This is a little booklet that went with a wall hanging made from my deceased father in law's shirts and deceased mother in law's buttons from the button jar that all the children played with growing up. The booklet told the story of the button jar. I think ties would look beautiful this way too. Maybe not the buttons but it meant so much to all the kids to receive it. There were 4 blocks to the wall hanging.

Originally Posted by KLO (Post 6605924)
Boy, thanks for showing us how you do this. A friend wants me to make several pillows or wall hangings out of her father's ties for members of the family. Not sure I want to do that but your photos are very helpful and clear so I will think about it.