Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric prices (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-prices-t242716.html)

Skratchie 03-07-2014 07:18 AM

Fabric prices

Saw $14/yd at the LQS this week. Couldn't believe it ... walked away and looked at other stuff, then came back and it was still $14/yd. It wasn't batik, either! When I first started quilting 10 years ago, fabric was about $7/yd at the LQS ... I cannot believe it's gone up so much!

What is the average cost per yard in your neck of the woods?

MissSongbird 03-07-2014 07:26 AM

When I went shopping for fabric a couple days ago at my LQS the prices I saw were around $10-11 a yd. But I was looking at basic quilting cotton fabric. I'm sure the novelty fabric cost a little more as it usually does.

ManiacQuilter2 03-07-2014 07:29 AM

I only have one LQS and her prices are $11.95 for most fabrics. YIKES is right. I do shop at Walmart and JAF but I check each fabric to make sure it is at least decent. Can't believe I bought fabric for over $8 a yard at Walmart, but it was a pastel aqua with white scattered dots that is going to be perfect for a charity quilt. Going to have to watch my budget !!

linda8450 03-07-2014 07:30 AM

I don't usually fall for a "line" of fabric, sort of do my own thing, but I found a Snoopy Army print (for Quilts of Valor) and really fell for it. Bought 5/8 yard pieces of 5 prints, 4yds for back and a 2 1/4yd piece for binding a border. $136!! I was floored. I know it is for a great cause, but I am on a limited budget and let my heart get ahead of my budget-minded head! I got it, and I will sew it up, and I will love it, but I might be eating bean for the next month! lol

I think it was 12.99 yd, and I don't usually do that!

stillclock 03-07-2014 07:34 AM

prices range from $10-$20 a meter.

these threads are really starting to chafe. i wish people could understand the slavery economy behind fabric production, and the reality of what it would cost should the true costs of fabric be charged back to the consumer. the environmental impact of industrial cotton production is truly, truly horrifying.

we pay a small fraction of what fabric really costs, both to the humans who make it and to the planet that we take it from.

aileen

mike'sgirl 03-07-2014 07:38 AM

I paid 10.00 and change for fabric at an online store the other day. I usually go for the discount wall at LQS if they have one, and make it work. I like Hobby Lobby for fabric with a coupon, or JAF with a coupon.

mike'sgirl 03-07-2014 07:41 AM

Stillclock I understand your point. I just wish we could bring fabric production to the U.S.

ThreadHead 03-07-2014 07:57 AM

I bought some material at Carolina Cotton for 8.99, saw the same thing at JoAnn's for 8.99,
same thing at Walmart 5.99.
Guess where I'm buying my material now. I still like Marshall's Dry Goods for 3 and 4.99. If I can't find what I want there, then I'll go to the other stores.

Skratchie 03-07-2014 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by stillclock (Post 6613929)
prices range from $10-$20 a meter.

these threads are really starting to chafe. i wish people could understand the slavery economy behind fabric production, and the reality of what it would cost should the true costs of fabric be charged back to the consumer. the environmental impact of industrial cotton production is truly, truly horrifying.

we pay a small fraction of what fabric really costs, both to the humans who make it and to the planet that we take it from.

aileen

Isn't that the case with almost ANY product, though? I mean, I get what you're saying, but fabric isn't the only thing like that. It doesn't matter where something is produced, or how, there's always a knock-on effect to the environment. But that doesn't change the fact that I have a limited amount of money with which to buy those products, nor does it change the fact that the cost has doubled in 10 years.

MaureenT 03-07-2014 08:06 AM

I also wish they would bring back the production to the US....I see some at Walmart that is great and others that is very cheesy. I love buying from Marshall's, very reasonable. How can they do it??