Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ScanNCut / Sizzix/ Accucut ?? We have a winner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scanncut-sizzix-accucut-we-have-winner-t245503.html)

heartofwisdom 04-20-2014 06:47 PM

ScanNCut / Sizzix/ Accucut ?? We have a winner

Hubby said I could get a fabric cutter for Mother's Day. Budget $500.

After three days of researching here (thank you so much) and on YouTube this is how I made my decision (all prices are Amazon they were lowest).

Brother Scanncut ($399): The big plus to the ScannCut is no dies needed. I like the rolling machines that do not need starch to use but with this computer system has 600 built in designs and the ability to scan in anything. A huge plus for me because I design scrapbook kits and already access have 500 digital kits. But I can't cut strips. And I cut a lot of strips. The main reason I wanted a cutter is to not have to cut strips (I lopped off part of my index finger with a rottery cutter and had several stitches.)

Sizzix Big Shot Pro($389): I love the Sizzix Big Shot Pro for quilters (looks amazing!). Its big and bulky but I wouldn't mind. But with this budget I only have $120 left over for dies and could only get a 2.5 and square die. ($90).

Accuquilt ($219) I originally wanted the Accuquilt but the dies and system are just too much compared to Sizzix. Once I reaslise Sizzix can use Accuquilt and other dies Sizzix won out.

Sizzix Big Shot ($72): Since the Big Shot is such a super low price (compared to Accuquilt) I can get the dies for 2.5 inch, squares, rectangles, flowers, birds and more. But I am limited to 6" width. But it is great for cutting strips. (Kudos to Sizzix for keeping the price low enough to draw us in because I will be buying HST and other dies in the future)

Was it obvious to you? It took me a while the light bulb to go on.

……drum roll……...

I'm getting Both ScannCut for appliqué and Sizzix Big Shot for strip quilting. OK, I'm at $580 but I have some egg money I can throw in. :) But I will have no limit to the appliqués I can make!

I just can't bring myself to pay $15 to $40 for dies like flower and butterflies I might only use once. (And I have all this digital art I can use)

If I had a bigger budget I would get the Big Shot Pro and ScanNCut. But I am very grateful I can get two machines. Thank you hubby.

So what are using and how did you decide?

Tothill 04-20-2014 07:05 PM

I am glad you found a combination that will work for you.

I recently bought a second hand Accuquilt with 3 strip dies and 3 shape dies plus two cutting mats for $300.00.

I am very happy with my purchase. It fit my budget and I have already cut out one quilt top using the 3.5 inch strip die.

blahel 04-20-2014 07:19 PM

That was a great comparison. It will be very helpful to those considering one of those machines. I like the way you listed what you wanted and then got two..atta girl! Keep us updated what the learning curve is on each as you never know I may suddenly feel the need to purchase one..

Dolphyngyrl 04-20-2014 08:34 PM

I have both, but there is more potential in the scanncut than the sizzix or accuquilt. I have a sizzix big shot and hardly touch it. Now that I have scanncut for piecing and applique I don't really see the need for sizzix as I don't use it for strips. I do have a rag quilt die for my sizzix big shot I will use somewhere down the line. My sizzix has been a dust collector, luckily I used gift cards to get it

gale 04-20-2014 10:38 PM

Congrats!! I love my Big Shot (I have both sizes). I bought the Scan n cut but it wasn't right for me so I returned it. I know a lot of people who love theirs though. Mine was not fussy cutting accurately but I don't think it's a super common issue. But that was the reason I bought it so back it went.

Onebyone 04-21-2014 04:34 AM

I have the Go and over 50 dies, all but a few bought on clearance sales. My guild members have different die cut machines so I have used all on your list. Each has pros and cons.

Sewnoma 04-21-2014 05:06 AM

The scan-n-cut really tempts me because I'm not just a quilter, I'm a crafter in general and it seems like a more flexible tool. I like cutting fabric with my rotary cutter so cutting simple shapes wouldn't be a priority for me, I want it more for making things like stencils and complex applique pieces.

But for now I have a good sized light box and a bunch of Xacto blades so for the amount of that sort of work I do I think I'm well set.

Nanax4 04-21-2014 05:47 AM

Another brand to consider is the Fiskar Fuse. It has a 12" width. It accommodates many brands of dies, including the accuquilt dies, and the bigz dies. Also Spellbinders and Sizzix dies.

They're often on sale at Jo-ann's for $99.

The Fiskar dies are worthless. Don't waste your money on those. But the machine itself is wonderful. I love the 12" width, which accommodates the larger scrapbook papers.

Skittl1321 04-21-2014 06:05 AM

Very nice comparison! I've decided if I do get a cutting machine it will be the Silhouette. But I'm waiting for a good sale. I'm kicking myself for not buying it last black friday.

AnnieSue 04-22-2014 01:46 PM

Thanks for doing that research. You did a good job.