Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Which vintage machine do you prefer for piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-machine-do-you-prefer-piecing-t246932.html)

Littlebearquiltingboard 05-17-2014 12:04 AM

Which vintage machine do you prefer for piecing?

Hi, I was wondering which of your vintage machines you prefer for piecing? I'm currently working through all mine to see which I like best with the aim of having it set up in the living room ready to go.

Clare

amcatanzaro 05-17-2014 01:10 AM

I prefer my 201 for piecing but I think that might be a your machine may vary thing.

ckcowl 05-17-2014 02:18 AM

my 99K is my favorite piecing machine- it has the most beautiful, even straight stitch and is my little 'work horse' . the other 2 vintage machines I have are 'ok' but for one reason or another not my -go to- when I want perfect precision. my lone star quilts when I want my points to be sharp and every join to be perfect I piece with the 99. :thumbup:

miriam 05-17-2014 03:38 AM

You can put two identical sewing machines side by side and one will be the one you like more than the other.

lovelyl 05-17-2014 04:14 AM

I like my Featherweight best for piecing, followed by my 301. I used to use my 15-91 for piecing but I now keep that one set up for FMQ. Let us know what machine you decide on!

Littlebearquiltingboard 05-17-2014 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl (Post 6719798)
I like my Featherweight best for piecing, followed by my 301. I used to use my 15-91 for piecing but I now keep that one set up for FMQ. Let us know what machine you decide on!

I would love to have a 301 but I have never seen one available so I am guessing they were not made for the UK market.

So far I have ruled out my 66 and aluminium 201. Sadly I am having to let go of most of my Singer machines as I don't have the space to keep them out and ready for use which is why I am figuring out which one I like the best for piecing to be one of the keepers.

tessagin 05-17-2014 06:44 AM

The only "vintage" I have is my "401 Slant-O-Matic". It is being taken over by DH who is working on a few blocks to see which one pattern he wants to make a quilt.

oldsewnsew 05-17-2014 07:08 AM

oops, I thought it said "piercing", never mind...
So far I've pierced my finger with an industrial twice, come close on several others

franc36 05-17-2014 07:14 AM

The one vintage machine I have is a Featherweight. Now, it is the only machine I use for piecing. I never thought I'd see the day that I'd prefer a machine over my Bernina; but since I did my first piecing on my Featherweight, that has become my "piecing machine."

Rodney 05-17-2014 08:04 AM

So far my 66 but my Rodney machine is right behind it. Generally, any straight stitch machine I have is better for piecing than my zigzag machines. The old black straight stitchers are quieter and more enjoyable to use.
Rodney