Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone used Satin binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-used-satin-binding-t249353.html)

true4uca 07-01-2014 10:08 AM

Has anyone used Satin binding

I was going to use a pre-made Satin binding on my latest baby quilt. A lady at my quilting group advised me not to use it as it doesn't wash well, is this true. It was so the right color, sigh.

laughingquilter 07-01-2014 10:45 AM

I've used it. I haven't had any problems with it washing poorly - - - I'd definitely use a zig-zag on the edges to attach it (maybe as a top stitch after sewing it on with a straight stitch). It's so awesome on a baby quilt and they LOVE the texture of it.

Jo Belmont 07-01-2014 10:48 AM

I've often used satin as a binding on baby quilts. I even attached it to some quick fleece throws I made for the numerous grand and great grandkids (very quick as there were very many). I see them from time to time as they visit (still carrying them with them ... even the teenagers) and they are each and every one wearing very well.

I did the usual double-fold, but cut it generous at 2-1/2". Something else I do on the baby quilts is to attach a loop at each of the corners that the baby can hold onto with a couple fingers. They seem to love to fondle it as they're going to sleep.

I'd go for it. And I'd love to see pics when you're through.

Peckish 07-01-2014 10:51 AM

I guess it depends on how much it will be washed and how long you're expecting it to last. My mom made a fleece blanket with satin binding for my niece when she was a baby, she's now 15 and the binding has started to shred. No biggie; she's outgrown it and mom has made her another quilt, and it DID get regular washings.

Having said that, I will also point out that a flannel quilt I made for my son is doing the same thing. It took a lot of abuse and washings (especially during those potty-training years), and the flannel binding is wearing thin, especially in the corners. Fortunately I kept the excess fabric and can simply re-bind it.

CorgiNole 07-01-2014 11:12 AM

I didn't have any problems with the washing. But after the total pain it was to get it sewn on straight, I swore I would never use it again.

Cheers, K

Tink's Mom 07-01-2014 11:29 AM

I've used the satin edging quite a lot...it washes just fine. It isn't really satin like it used to be...it is some kind of a polyester.

ManiacQuilter2 07-01-2014 11:30 AM

I never used it because I thought it would be a pain to try and sew anything satin !! :)

Terri D. 07-01-2014 11:33 AM

I attempted to apply a satin blanket-width binding to my niece's baby quilt, but found mitering the corner exceedingly difficult. I probably should've attached it the way it typically gets sewn onto blankets, so that was my error. I ended up removing it and finishing the quilt with standard French fold binding, which I think will probably wear better in the long run.

Sewnoma 07-01-2014 11:49 AM

They used to sell extra-wide satin bindings specifically for baby quilts. Don't know if they do anymore; I used it once years and years ago (before I knew anything about quilting) and it wasn't too hard. I probably did a terribly amateurish job on it but it worked!

I gave the quilt to a coworker who has long since moved away so no idea how well it held up. Funny to think...that "baby" is sixteen years old now! Woah!

SueSew 07-01-2014 12:30 PM

Try Joanne's for "satin" which isn't really, and some of it has fuzzy flannel like backing.