Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When buying Babylock, did your dealer off the BL Gold Standard Warranty or an inhouse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-buying-babylock-did-your-dealer-off-bl-gold-standard-warranty-inhouse-t251053.html)

AngelinaMaria 07-30-2014 03:31 PM

When buying Babylock, did your dealer off the BL Gold Standard Warranty or an inhouse

My LQS appears to be offering me an in-house warranty for my new Crescendo instead of the Babylock Gold Standard. They are the only dealer in a large area and run 3 stores.

I will be stopping by this weekend to ask more about it and see if I can get more information than a photocopied one page document.

Did your LQS do this? Should I ask to get the BL Gold Standard plan instead (assuming they will even let me have that choice)? The one page document sounds describes coverage very similar to the Gold Standard coverage (3 years, includes maintenance, parts, labor, etc. and cleaning/tune ups), but I think it also offers coverage on things like if you accidentally drop it or maybe spill water on it. The store manager told me this (basically everything except acts of god like floods or tornados, and excessive negligent use like cleaning the bobbin case with a sharp knife, etc). Of course, none of that is written down on this sheet so I am going to need to see some fine print.

ETA: I should add that the LQS protective plan is equal to the cost of 3 years of annual cleaning costs plus $49. So, not ridiculously priced.

IrishNY 07-30-2014 03:40 PM

What if you move out of the area or the shop goes out of business? I would want the entire BL organization to stand behind my machine, not just one dealer.

AngelinaMaria 07-30-2014 04:00 PM

Yes, that was another thought of mine.

As part of the LQS plan, they offer full purchase price trade in value for 1 year on an upgraded machine. It sounds like some LQS offer that policy routinely but I've heard a few bad stories of people buying a new Symphony and 6 months later wanting to upgrade and the trade in value offered by the same LQS they bought it from was only $800!!! The latter is probably how my LQS would be.

Anyway, I don't have upgrade on my radar so that wouldn't be a driving force in the decision.

Dolphyngyrl 07-30-2014 04:44 PM

My dealer offers their own warranty, and I usually get it. He is well established with many locations so not worrying about going out of business. I have not had a problem with my dealers I can walk my machine in for servicing whenever I want, as many times as I want, parts, labor all included.

AngelinaMaria 07-30-2014 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 6824706)
My dealer offers their own warranty, and I usually get it. He is well established with many locations so not worrying about going out of business. I have not had a problem with my dealers I can walk my machine in for servicing whenever I want, as many times as I want, parts, labor all included.

Yes, that is what my LQS is offering and they are family owned since 1930, so very long time and quite successful. I didn't get anything free thrown in to my purchase this time nor the past purchase I made so they drive a very hard deal.

Prices are high in Northern California but I felt it was also important to be a loyal customer and be able to take my machine in for servicing without feeling bad. So, instead of going to a nearby state where I have family and there is a BL dealer and no sales tax, I opted to buy local.

Treasureit 07-30-2014 06:27 PM

I got the Babylock warranty with my BL Crescendo.

Melinda in Tulsa 07-31-2014 11:38 AM

My BL dealer always includes the gold standard warranty automatically with every machine.