Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Help with frozen Singer 201-2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/help-frozen-singer-201-2-a-t251648.html)

madamekelly 08-10-2014 02:29 PM

Help with frozen Singer 201-2

I was gifted with a Singer 201-2 and a friend is going to attempt to recondition it for me. We are not sewing machine mechanics, but I have reconditioned a later machine or two. The entire machine seems to be frozen by a light coating of rust that we can see, but we have no idea how the machine comes apart when it is not frozen, so we are reluctant to get too aggressive. Would one of you be willing to guide or assist us by possibly answering the odd question, as we work through this project? The entire machine appears to be there with the exception of the top spool pin and assembly for it. The lower spool pin is bent to right, and we will straighten it when we get to that point. The foot pedal has been replaced with a newer gold colored one, and the cord has been replaced also at one time or another. The stitch length knob has no markings, as if an outer labeling has been removed? Anyone brave enough to help two amateurs remake this into a working sewing machine? If anyone knows of any videos for disassembly that would be great! Thanks all!

crocee 08-10-2014 02:54 PM

Would you be so kind as to post a picture of your machine. It can go a long way in helping point out what is needed to be done. Also if you can please post a picture of the bobbin area(macro shot if possible). Thank you

Rodney 08-10-2014 03:39 PM

There are links to Muv's videos in the sticky on cleaning old machines. Take some time and read the sticky and watch the videos. They will take a lot of the mystery out of cleaning these old machines. After that, clean all the dust, dirt and lint that you can find out then oil the snot out of it with either sewing machine oil or tri-flow. Don't be tempted to use other products. Put oil in every hole you see on the body of the machine. Remove the nose plate and open the bobbin cover. Oil everything inside that looks like it should move. Now do the hard part. Walk away for a day or two. After a good long wait go back and see if anything starts moving. It didn't seize up overnight, it may take some time for the oil to work it's magic and get things freed up again.
201s are true rotary machines. There will be a couple sets of gears on the underside that will need grease. A light synthetic grease like Tri-flow grease is a good choice or use Singer grease if you can find some. Download an owner's manual from Singerco.com. There should be lubrication instructions inside.
Good luck with it. You'll have one of Singer's best machines when you're done.
Rodney

madamekelly 08-11-2014 07:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by crocee (Post 6839627)
Would you be so kind as to post a picture of your machine. It can go a long way in helping point out what is needed to be done. Also if you can please post a picture of the bobbin area(macro shot if possible). Thank you

Here are a couple pictures, I will take better ones today if I get time for it.

J Miller 08-11-2014 07:32 AM

madmekelly,

That machine has been exposed to some serious moisture. Flood it with sewing machine oil. Take off the face plate, the inspection cover on the back, the stitch length lever cover, and flood it everywhere with oil. Let it soak, repeat till it's free. The needle bar and presser foot shaft might need some heat as well so hunt up a hair drier.

Take your time. It will need a thorough cleaning before you're done, so don't worry about getting too much oil on/in it.

Joe

Kat Sews 08-11-2014 11:19 AM

The original owners manual for my 201 recommends soaking with kerosene until it moves freely then use machine oil.

J Miller 08-11-2014 02:21 PM

If you're gonna soak it in kerosene it's best to remove the potted motor and the hand wheel. I don't think the kerosene will be good for the electrical parts.

Joe

singerguy 08-11-2014 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kat Sews (Post 6840744)
The original owners manual for my 201 recommends soaking with kerosene until it moves freely then use machine oil.

i didn't know that it's written in the manual about the kerosene. guess they've been doing it ever since. as what others mentioned, if you do this, make sure that all electrical/cable/motor parts are removed.

i am pretty sure your potted motor will need rewiring. here's THE INSTRUCTIONS IN REWIRING YOUR POTTED MOTOR .

Macybaby 08-11-2014 04:43 PM

Had to go pull out a manual and look
it says "If the machine runs hard after standing idle for some time, use a little kerosene in the oiling places, run the machine rapidly, then wipe clean and oil"

I'm not sure I'd interpret that to be "soak in kerosene until it moves freely" and the part about cleaning the kerosene off is important. It will soften the old oil, but if you don't remove it, it will harden back up.

jlhmnj 08-11-2014 06:27 PM

Joe's right, that machine has been exposed to some serious moisture. I'd start with the motor to see if it's worth fooling with or a parts machine.

Jon