Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/warning-dont-ever-give-donate-anything-ever-lol-t252811.html)

Butterfli19 08-31-2014 11:23 AM

Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol

omg...so in the past I've purged quilt books, leaflets, fabric, notions, patterns, thinking things like "what was I thinking when I bought THIS?" and "I'll NEVER make THAT!", and "why do I need all this STUFF?" and the last few days all I have been doing is muttering "what was I thinking when I gave away that book on handbags?" and "WHY did I give away that fabric that I need right now?" and "did I ever think I wasn't going to have grandkids -- why did I give away those adorable pattern books?"

ugh.

Never, please, make a vow - cross you heart and hope to faint pinky swear - to never ever ever give or donate anything craft related because you are not in your right mind at that moment.

This does however, give me the opportunity to buy more ... heh-heh ...

tessagin 08-31-2014 11:34 AM

I have a few books I got at estate sales and I have to tell you, they are a great reference. Many of mine have great templates. And if I need a copy of a template, I either trace it or use the copy machine. Those books are too valuable to tear up. Found the perfect template and just the right size in one of my books. I made a couple book covers out of brown paper sacks but any book cover to protect will work. I right notes on the brown paper bag book covers, just like in school. Reference. I did send some fabric to my DGD though but I don't miss it. Just need to be careful what you donate to any one.

nanna-up-north 08-31-2014 01:24 PM

I guess that's why I have so much STUFF!! I do need to thin it out a little but most of the books are such good reference. Oh my, I think I'll worry about that another day.

needles3thread 08-31-2014 02:06 PM

I got rid of pillow stuffing-new in bags. Now I am making pillows and could use it.

slbram17 08-31-2014 03:22 PM

I have felt regret a few times but honestly, not too much. If I really miss it (like a book) I can almost find it on amazon and usually cheaper than what I paid new. But that has only happened a few times or less.

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 (Post 6867990)
omg...so in the past I've purged quilt books, leaflets, fabric, notions, patterns, thinking things like "what was I thinking when I bought THIS?" and "I'll NEVER make THAT!", and "why do I need all this STUFF?" and the last few days all I have been doing is muttering "what was I thinking when I gave away that book on handbags?" and "WHY did I give away that fabric that I need right now?" and "did I ever think I wasn't going to have grandkids -- why did I give away those adorable pattern books?"

ugh.

Never, please, make a vow - cross you heart and hope to faint pinky swear - to never ever ever give or donate anything craft related because you are not in your right mind at that moment.

This does however, give me the opportunity to buy more ... heh-heh ...

Twisted Quilter 08-31-2014 03:26 PM

Been there, done that. :hunf:

quiltingcandy 08-31-2014 03:41 PM

I have tried to give away books but find they never get to the donate pile. Somehow my hand just doesn't release them. But I blame my parents for that. My husband believes my family motto was, "Never through anything away, you may need it someday." Fabric is not so hard for me to let go though. In fact, I love to share fabric. Patterns I buy are more for fun than to use. I have taken to pinning them up on a cork board or directly into the wall so I can see them. (I used to put them into a binder in those plastic sleeves, but forgot what I had, and they are so fun to look at, and hopefully make someday.)

Lovequilting22 08-31-2014 03:47 PM

Too funny! I've contemplating giving fabric away that I don't think I'll use, but maybe I will need it down the road. Lol

cashs_mom 08-31-2014 04:06 PM

I guess that's why I have so much stuff. I always think "I might want this someday". However, when we did repiping in the house, they had to tear out the wall in the closet of my sewing room so I had to take everything out of it. I did toss a whole trash bag and put a couple things in the donation bag. I like my stuff!

Tartan 08-31-2014 04:29 PM

I do get rid of UFO's that I know I no longer want to work on. I put the pattern in with the pieces and the fabrics to finish it and hope it finds a good home.