Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is this enough quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/enough-quilting-t252854.html)

Sisty88 09-01-2014 01:18 AM

Is this enough quilting?

1 Attachment(s)
I have marked a picture of my quilt with the quilting design (in red). My concern is that there are long thin sections (green) that are far beyond the recommended quilting distance (8 inches). I feel that if I try to add something in to reduce the length of the long sections, that it won't look right, but obviously after all this work, I don't want to not have enough quilting and ruin the quilt!

So, a quick poll, would you add extra quilting in or leave it as it is?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489894[/ATTACH]

Knitette 09-01-2014 02:29 AM

8 inches is the MAXIMUM you need to leave between quilting the manufacturer recommends. You can quilt as densely or as loosely as you like (up to the 8").

QuiltnNan 09-01-2014 02:30 AM

what size are your hexies? unless they are gigantic, it looks like your red has sufficient quilting

Sisty88 09-01-2014 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6868860)
what size are your hexies? unless they are gigantic, it looks like your red has sufficient quilting

They're 1 1/2" hexies. I look at it and think that the quilting is enough, it's just those long thin bits on the grey fabric that concern me!

Tartan 09-01-2014 03:27 AM

​I think the gray should be fine. I would do the hexagon quilting marked in red and then see how you like it. You can always add more quilting later.

davis2se 09-01-2014 04:09 AM

It looks to me like the greatest area without quilting would be inside the blue cross shaped pieces, which I would not think are more than about 4 inches wide and/or long. I don't think you should have any problems down the road if you quilt it as you have indicated. Very pretty quilt by the way.

nanna-up-north 09-01-2014 04:31 AM

I have a grandmother's flower garden just like this and the quilting was done exactly where your red lines are. I think I made that quilt 10 years ago and the hand quilting group that quilted it did a wonderful job. I don't have any problems with the spaces. I think you're good with just the red lines.

Sisty88 09-01-2014 04:55 AM

Brilliant! Thanks guys! It's so nearly done and I really didn't want to add any extra bits in! Just have to get the middle of each flower done, and one strip of the bluey cross shapes to do (ran out of thread, very annoying!)
I truly can't wait to be able to snuggle under it properly! :-)

KSellers 09-01-2014 06:09 AM

Be sure to show us a picture of the finished quilt!!

Jeanne S 09-01-2014 07:27 AM

I think you are fine with your red lined quilting plan. The way I understand the spacing requirements is that you shouldn't have a spot that does not have quilting stitches within 8" of it. It looks to me like you meet that guideline easily. For example, take an 8" square ruler and move it around on your quilt and I bet you won't have any squares without stitching in them.