Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother sewing machines (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-sewing-machines-t255433.html)

ScrappyAZ 10-17-2014 01:33 PM

Brother sewing machines

My daughter gifted me with a Brother Project Runway limited edtion sewing machine. I have always heard good things about Brothers, but the throat space is very small, smaller than my current sewing machine. Can anyone recommend a nice Brother sewing machine with a generous throat space for quilting? My daughter said her feelings will not be hurt if I return or exchange the machine. She wants me to have something I'll be able to use.

Thanks much for your input!

RainyBC 10-17-2014 02:24 PM

I love my Brother PQ1500s. It is a very nice machine for piecing and FMQ, but it is straight stitch only so you would need another machine for fancy stitches.

Dingle 10-17-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by RainyBC (Post 6932833)
I love my Brother PQ1500s. It is a very nice machine for piecing and FMQ, but it is straight stitch only so you would need another machine for fancy stitches.

Yep, what she said :)

Yakkity 10-17-2014 05:23 PM

I have a Brother/Laura Ashley NX2000. Has a larger throat space and all kinds of nice stitches and other wonderful items that come with. It is meant for quilting and they really put a lot of thought into the machine. I just love it. They have newer machines out for quilting also.

QuiltedCritterLady 10-17-2014 06:16 PM

Brother and Baby Lock are made by the same manufacturer. I have a Baby Lock Quilter's choice that has a bit wider throat space for FMQ. You might take a look at one of those, or the comparable Brother model. I'm not sure what the newest model number is, but that is one suggestion. Best of luck. ;-)

Peckish 10-17-2014 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by RainyBC (Post 6932833)
I love my Brother PQ1500s. It is a very nice machine for piecing and FMQ.

I third it!

I own 7 machines and my 1500 is by far my favorite. It's my "daily driver" - the machine I use for everything except the occasional buttonhole or zigzag.

cathyvv 10-17-2014 07:57 PM

Brother makes a sewing machine with a 6" throat that sells for less than $200, model SQ9185. I have it and like using it except for one thing - it doesn't have an automatic thread cutter!

My other Brother does - it's the first machine that I have owned that has it. It has spoiled me; I really miss that feature when I sew on the one with the larger throat.

redneckwoman 10-18-2014 03:07 AM

I have a brother Innov-is nx-450q quilt club and I love it

Judi in Ohio 10-18-2014 04:32 AM

Brother/Babylock are fabulous machines. I just got the Babylock Crescendo, Brother has one like it, but I'm not sure of the name - huge harp, fabulous stadium lighting. Great for quilting.

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ (Post 6932787)
My daughter gifted me with a Brother Project Runway limited edtion sewing machine. I have always heard good things about Brothers, but the throat space is very small, smaller than my current sewing machine. Can anyone recommend a nice Brother sewing machine with a generous throat space for quilting? My daughter said her feelings will not be hurt if I return or exchange the machine. She wants me to have something I'll be able to use.

Thanks much for your input!

Onebyone 10-18-2014 05:08 AM

Another fan of the Brother 1500. I love it.