Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Water soluble markers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/water-soluble-markers-t256168.html)

Mamaw322 11-01-2014 06:45 AM

Water soluble markers

Has anyone ever had a problem marking their quilt top with these? I am marking a white background top and I am nervous about all the blue on it. I have tested it on some scraps and it comes out, but still nervous!

tessagin 11-01-2014 06:51 AM

I have not but anxious to see everyone else's experiences and ratings on them. I'm just wondering if using a stain remover like Shout all over would be a good idea. Makes sense to me but not sure how it reacts. It gets rid of so many other marks and stains.

Gannyrosie 11-01-2014 06:52 AM

I have used the new Crayola washables and they all came out. Marked with the Green and Blue. I also use Washable Colored pencils and use the crayons that come in the plastic tubes and you turn the bottom to pull it up. I don't spend big money on those special pens, I 've not had any problems with any of them. I have a large basket with all the crayons, pencils, etc. I just try not to use the reds too much.

calla 11-01-2014 08:29 AM

No problem here......just in the summer don't mark too much, the humidity made my markings disappear ..........calla

citruscountyquilter 11-01-2014 09:47 AM

I was nervous too the first time I used a water soluble marker but finally got past it and had good luck with one. The one I used was blue and has a fine point on it. I also bought a purple air erasable pen at the same time but like the blue water soluble one better. As I went along I gave a light spray of water to the area and then blotted it with a wash cloth and the markings disappeared. As I became more relaxed I became less vigilant about getting rid of them soon and they all came out when I washed the quilt. I bought some more of the pens when I saw them at a fabric shop so I would always have some on hand I liked them so much. I have not used the Crayola markers. The ones I used were specifically for fabric so I can't comment on the Crayola ones.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-01-2014 10:27 AM

I have never had a problem. I use the blue kind all the time. I've used regular Crayola washables a few times, too. It has never been a problem.

Vicki1212 11-01-2014 12:21 PM

I've also used the blue marker on a white background and it washed out completely with no problems. In the beginning, I also blotted with water as I worked to remove the marks but on occasions, the marks were still visible when the fabric dried so don't follow this route and use your iron until you have washed the entire quilt in your machine.

meyert 11-01-2014 02:50 PM

I use the Crayola brand washable markers... I love them. They wash out very easily... I use Dawn dish soap to wash them out. They come right out.

DogHouseMom 11-01-2014 03:07 PM

My rule of thumb is ... test, test, test. I test every marker on a scrap of the fabric(s) I plan on marking. Even though marker A might have worked well on fabric B, it might not work as well on fabric C.

Mamaw322 11-03-2014 03:59 AM

Thanks for all the advice!