Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-bernina-sewing-machine-t257448.html)

SuzyM 11-27-2014 08:20 PM

Stupid Bernina Sewing Machine

I had a little Kenmore sewing machine for years. It wasn't special but it had great tension and I never had a problem with it.

When my mother passed away she left me her Bernina Artisan 180, so I passed on my little sewing machine.

I have had nothing but problems with the bobbin on this Bernina and it making an ugly messy on the underneath side of all of my sewing. I just got done ripping out half a quilt binding I just put on because of this stupid machine. I cannot figure out why it is doing what is doing because it doesn't happen all of the time. I am about ready to chuck it out the window or use it for target practice.

I am thinking about scanning the Sears black Friday adds to see if they may have a Kenmore on sale.

Chester the bunny 11-27-2014 08:31 PM

Hi Suzy,

I can't help because I don't have Bernina, I still have my little Kenmore and bought a spare at a garage sale. But I have to tell you that your post made me chuckle.
You are talking about throwing a machine out the window...and then I read ......."Quilting is my sanity"
Hope you figure out how to fix the trouble soon.
Good luck!

Annaquilts 11-27-2014 08:33 PM

Ugh..... I hear your pain. Sometimes fancier is not better. Maybe you can buy a used Kenmore off of Craigs list?

lynnie 11-27-2014 08:35 PM

did you try rethreading and re doing the bobbin. I feel your pain. go get a cheapo with less bells and whistles, I have one that's basic just for sewing quilts.

quiltingbuddy 11-27-2014 08:37 PM

I had issues with my machine and after taking it to the local shop found out it didn't like the thread. I was trying a monofilament and it just doesn't like it. I now use Sulky, Aurifil, or Whatever the shop recommends and no longer have any trouble. I must agree thread issues are very frustrating! Good luck!

SuzyM 11-27-2014 08:38 PM

I have tried rethreading the top, the bobbin, in the end I end up pulling off all the thread on the bobbin and starting from scratch by rewinding a new bobbin. I have wasted so much time and thread because of this machine.

cathyvv 11-27-2014 09:11 PM

I recommend the Brother line of sewing machines. I've had four - one broke when it was dropped while we were on vacation - and have no trouble whatsoever with them. The manuals are WONDERFUL - well written and very thorough. They don't assume you know much, which was great for me since I hadn't sewn in about 30 years when I got my first Brother.

IrishNY 11-27-2014 09:26 PM

I have two Berninas. I've only sewn on Berninas for 20 years and I've never had a problem with my tension, even after letting a machine sit for several years. I would have a repairperson look at it before switching to another machine. My machines have given me nothing but top quality stitching on every type of material. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem quickly.

Dolphyngyrl 11-27-2014 09:43 PM

could it be the bobbin is the wrong bobbin for the machine, haave you taken it to a dealer to see if its a quick fix. It may be something simple you are overlooking. Sometimes new machines can be tricky if we are used to one brand our whole life. Do you have a friend that owns berninas that can help

Candace 11-27-2014 09:47 PM

When was it last serviced if ever?