Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone up for a January Color and Design challenge? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-up-january-color-design-challenge-t258900.html)

playswithcolor 12-29-2014 01:22 PM

Anyone up for a January Color and Design challenge?

I picked up the book "Quilt Challenge, "what if" ideas for color and design, by Sharyn Craig and Pamela Mostek, at a quilt show a few years ago and promised myself that I would challenge myself after I retire.

Well, the time has come. Would anyone like to join me in some color/design challenges?

The challenges in the book tend to choose a simple block and fabric or color palette restrictions. If we get a group of interested QB members, we could create our own challenges or use the ones in the book. Sometimes our most creative quilts are made when we have rules to work within.

What do you think?

Sewnoma 12-29-2014 01:26 PM

I'm leery of commitment but I'm really interested in the idea! That sounds like an interesting book!

(I just finished the last of the quilts I'd committed myself to and promised myself that 2015 would have NO quilting deadlines! Only FUN!)

Jan in VA 12-29-2014 04:18 PM

I taught a color class I designed using ideas that sound somewhat similar to what must be in this book (which I've never seen, btw) and the class loved it. I wish I could participate but have a huge backup due to some surgeries I've had this fall and winter. Please be sure to share your efforts with those of us who can't participate!!

Jan in VA

Emma S 12-29-2014 04:25 PM

Plays: Following this thread. Would be very interested in exploring the possibilities. I love anything that takes me outside my normal comfort zone.

AddieLou 12-29-2014 05:16 PM

Sounds like fun!

Jeanne S 12-29-2014 07:04 PM

I have never done a challenge---how does it work???

Emma S 12-30-2014 06:04 AM

Amazon has some very reasonable prices on their book right now.

kristakz 12-30-2014 01:33 PM

Sounds like fun! I did a colour challenge year a couple of years back. We were presented with a pallette (3 or 4 colours, generally taken from a photo) and had to make something - quilt, wallhanging, whatever you wanted) using just those colours. It was a lot of fun, and certainly stretched my skills in design & colour placement.

ube quilting 12-30-2014 01:56 PM

i would also be interested a color challenge. count me in.
peace

Are you keeping a list and will notify us if you get enough people to join?

cricket_iscute 12-30-2014 02:15 PM

I'm interested, too.

I just went to Amazon and looked at the book. It looks like fun, especially with a group. Sharon Craig does come up with some good challenges.

I have studied color and would be glad to contribute to those discussions.

I just bought, at Joann's Black Friday sale, eight different blue-green flannels that look too subdued together. In looking at the color wheel, I think I might want to do an analogous quilt using them and have been looking for other flannels. Another consideration is to add blue-violet or red-violet flannels. Can I use these for this challenge? Are we using what we have (or buy)? Is there more than one choice of challenge color?

I have only begin to think of patterns for this quilt. I'm open to ideas!

Cricket