Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the best black batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-best-black-batting-t260401.html)

Leslie333 01-27-2015 07:18 PM

What is the best black batting?

I'm planning a quilt that will be darker colors, including black and a black or very dark backing. I'd like to use a black batting. It will be a queen sized quilt for my bed using batiks. I will probably have a LA quilter do the quilting. My searching has turned up Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 (cotton/poly) in black and Quilter's Dream Midnight which is a poly batting. I typically use Quilter's Dream Cotton in all my quilts. I'm unsure about using poly. What are your experiences with these two battings, or do you have another black that is a favorite?

Cari-in-Oly 01-27-2015 07:30 PM

I've used the Hobbs and was very pleased with it.

Cari

AndiR 01-27-2015 08:21 PM

Quilter's Dream Poly Midnight! I'm not a poly fan, but this one is a low-loft that almost 'acts' like cotton. By that I mean the fabrics cling to it, instead of slipping around like most polys do. (Although it won't shrink like cotton.)

Andi

Peckish 01-27-2015 08:59 PM

I would not hesitate to use the QD. I used it last year and it turned out beautifully. What are your specific concerns regarding the poly?

Jan in VA 01-27-2015 10:20 PM

I learned something new here after checking the Hobbs site. They used to make a black polyester batt, I thought, and now I learn they have an 80/20 cotton blend in black; no longer make it in polyester only.

I have always loved the Hobbs cotton battings; they are widely used in Texas, of course, as they are made there, in Waco, and the company is particularly involved with the quilting community. I love Quilters dream, too, which comes from Virginia Beach VA, but it can be a bit more expensive than Hobbs.

Jan in VA

Sync 01-28-2015 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie333 (Post 7066850)
I'm planning a quilt that will be darker colors, including black and a black or very dark backing. I'd like to use a black batting. It will be a queen sized quilt for my bed using batiks. I will probably have a LA quilter do the quilting. My searching has turned up Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 (cotton/poly) in black and Quilter's Dream Midnight which is a poly batting. I typically use Quilter's Dream Cotton in all my quilts. I'm unsure about using poly. What are your experiences with these two battings, or do you have another black that is a favorite?

I would suggest using the Quilter's Dream Midnight. My experiences with the Hobbs Heirloom black has not been very favorable. I used this batting two different times and both times the quality was very poor. The batting was very uneven, there were thin areas and areas in the batt that was stiff. When I need a black batt I go for Quilter's Dream and stay far away from the Hobbs.

ManiacQuilter2 01-28-2015 06:10 AM

I have used Hobbs Black and was pleased with the results.

hcarpanini 01-28-2015 06:15 AM

Legacy by Pellon has a beautiful black batting.

Sewnoma 01-28-2015 06:17 AM

I've only ever used Quilter's Dream poly black but it's a great batting. Never had any problems with it. It comes in a couple different weights, too.

I've only used Hobbs once (white 80/20) and I didn't really like it. It worked out fine once it was in the quilt so it's not BAD batting by any means, but it felt weird and scratchy to me and I just didn't like handling it. Usually batting is so soft and inviting, the weird scratchiness of the Hobbs turned me off. I'd use it if I had it on hand, but I don't see myself buying it again.

feline fanatic 01-28-2015 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7067330)
I've only ever used Quilter's Dream poly black but it's a great batting. Never had any problems with it. It comes in a couple different weights, too.

I've only used Hobbs once (white 80/20) and I didn't really like it. It worked out fine once it was in the quilt so it's not BAD batting by any means, but it felt weird and scratchy to me and I just didn't like handling it. Usually batting is so soft and inviting, the weird scratchiness of the Hobbs turned me off. I'd use it if I had it on hand, but I don't see myself buying it again.

I suspect that was their old 100% poly stuff. Discontinued years ago. The 80/20 blend in black could be mistaken for cotton if you didn't have the packaging. Same for QD poly in the black. I have used both and like them both equally. Legacy by Pellon is a wonderful product as well but I have never used their black. I have used their standard cream colored blend and it is so luxurious and soft.