Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gremlins in my machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gremlins-my-machine-t263349.html)

citruscountyquilter 03-30-2015 04:17 AM

Gremlins in my machine

Ten months ago I got a new Janome 8900 machine. I was so excited! A couple of months ago it started to get hot to the left of the presser foot area and had a plastic smell. I took it in to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it so I picked it up and used it again. I sewed quite a bit with it and then all of a sudden it started getting hot again in the same place with the same smell. Over the next few days I stitched using different settings and noticed that the only time it happened was when I was using the 1/4" setting so I took it back into the dealer and told him that. I even marked the spots that it got really hot with painters tape. I just received a call from the dealer that they can't find anything wrong with the machine. They said they even called Janome about it. I am going to pick it up today. Very frustrating and it is nearing the end of the warranty for free parts and labor. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen?

ManiacQuilter2 03-30-2015 04:44 AM

I am sorry, I never had a problem with my Bernina. I would take a project done and sew there especially since you know what is wrong. Janome should extend you warranty for this issue.

garysgal 03-30-2015 11:26 AM

Maybe you could take it back to the dealer and have THEM do some sewing on it while using the 1/4'' setting. Hopefully it will do it for them too. It's like the "noise the car is making"- you hear it but as soon as you get to the shop they can't find it!

Tartan 03-30-2015 12:38 PM

Do you mean the plastic on the machine by the presser foot gets hot? If so, ask to see inside the machine while it is opened up because you should be able to see evidence of heat. (Smoke or melting)

Onebyone 03-30-2015 02:14 PM

Sounds like they didn't sew very long, just test run it for a a few stitches. I would take fabric and sit down and sew on it before taking it back home. The dealers I know will do anything to keep a machine from being fixed under warranty. As soon as the warranty runs out then the problem will be found.

quilt1950 03-30-2015 02:35 PM

I agree with sewing at the shop until you notice the problem.

I had a weird problem with my machine - it would change stitches without warning, after I had sewed for awhile. I took it to be repaired, and they did the basic maintenance, and sent it home with me. The problem was not fixed. Took it back, and the repairman sat and sewed on it until it acted up. I was sure he would give up before there was a problem, but he stuck with it while we chatted, and it did act up.

Ahof 03-30-2015 03:18 PM

I Am also having issues with my 8900. My does not have the same problem you have, mine jumps out of timing. I'm out of warranty by a couple weeks. I wish the gremlins would go away.

dflynn 03-30-2015 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ahof (Post 7147621)
I Am also having issues with my 8900. My does not have the same problem you have, mine jumps out of timing. I'm out of warranty by a couple weeks. I wish the gremlins would go away.

What happen when it "jumps out of timing"

Mdaniels 03-30-2015 03:27 PM

Skipping stitches is not unusual with this machine, if that is what you mean regarding the timing issue. There should be a couple of threads on here, but for what its worth, after much research, my problems were solved by using a purple needle and switching out to the blue dot bobbin case. No issues after that.

Ahof 03-30-2015 04:07 PM

When you turn the wheel it goes to a certain point then stops, you can't sew because the timing of the needle and the bobbin are not inline with each other. I just got it out of the shop 6 weeks ago for the same thing, this time I was sewing 4 pieces of cotton.