Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   threading needle. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/threading-needle-t266336.html)

shy 06-13-2015 05:52 AM

threading needle.

I have notice comments about threading needles on here more than once..so thought I would add my two cent on it..I am sure many know and do this..I always cut my thread at an angle..machine or hand..u will be surprised how often that makes the difference..

SHELTIE'SMAMA 06-13-2015 06:03 AM

Me too (cut on slant)and in addition I keep a yellow post-it tag - the skinny ones on top of the machine -- always handy and hold it behind the needle. I guess any color would work but I went with yellow= road signs, fire engines etc = the visibility factor. When it finally lints up just toss - inexpensive and always at the ready.

maviskw 06-13-2015 06:12 AM

I learned something new about threading needles this past year. It really works.

Wet the BACK of the needle eye. You no not have to wet the thread. Most of the time I don't even have to re-cut the thread. If it doesn't go through first time every time, then try making a fresh cut on the thread. Works on hand sewing needle and on sewing machine needles. Of course you have to be able to aim your thread in the general direction of the needle hole. LOL

PaperPrincess 06-13-2015 06:13 AM

Interesting. When I tried this in the past, I managed to always split the plies. I'd get a part of the thread thru the hole and part on the outside.
The thing that works best for me is lick the needle hole, not the thread.

susie-susie-susie 06-13-2015 06:18 AM

Another tip that works for me with hand sewing needles, if you can't get the thread through after a couple of tries, turn the needle around. The eye is a tiny bit larger on one side. Works for me every time.
Sue

Toni C 06-13-2015 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7225324)
Interesting. When I tried this in the past, I managed to always split the plies. I'd get a part of the thread thru the hole and part on the outside.
The thing that works best for me is lick the needle hole, not the thread.

Hahaha my mind brought up someone tilting their head sideways tongue stretched out to max trying to reach the machine needle to lick hole. Made me LOL

tessagin 06-13-2015 07:18 AM

Sometimes I darn near go x-eyed then go for the magnifying glass.

Latrinka 06-13-2015 07:37 AM

All great tips! Another thing, not about threading actually but knotting for hand sewing, if you cut your piece twice as long as what you want to work with, then put both ends into eye of needle with loop hanging, when you take your first stitch, go through the loop, and wah-lah it's tied off with no knot! Ya'll all probably already knew this, but just thought I'd put my 2c in too! LOL!

yngldy 06-13-2015 09:10 AM

I, too, get split thread when I cut the thread tip at an angle. It took me a long time to figure out if the needle won't thread, turn the needle around. Always works! Wetting the needle instead of the thread never worked for me. Must be doing something wrong. I was told that if you want to thread the sewing machine needle, run your thread down the front of the needle, in the groove (who knew there was a groove there), and it will pop into the hole. How can such a supposedly simple task could cause so much aggravation!!? lol

PaperPrincess 06-13-2015 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Toni C (Post 7225381)
Hahaha my mind brought up someone tilting their head sideways tongue stretched out to max trying to reach the machine needle to lick hole. Made me LOL

Yeah, that's why I finally had to get a machine with a needle threader :p