Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lucy, "my Bernina 830" got sick (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lucy-my-bernina-830-got-sick-t266443.html)

Suz 06-15-2015 10:31 AM

Lucy, "my Bernina 830" got sick

Lucy had not been serviced for 13 months. Nothing serious wrong, but did not like the sound she was making when using the thread cutter. (I must do better.) She had 2 million stitches on her at 13 months. Today at the doctor's office, I learned she now has over 20 million stitches. I was asked if I do a lot of embroidery. No, just a lot of piecing and FMQ. When her check up was completed, there was a short list of parts that had to be replaced. Replaced owing to wear by the yards of thread passing over wire and thread guides, etc. I really felt this was going to begin a repeating since I use the machine so hard.

Long story short, I brought home a used Bernina 880. It has been used only 26 hours, essentially new. I was made an offer that I could not refuse and I didn't.

RedGarnet222 06-15-2015 11:11 AM

I feel your pain sister! I just broke my needle threader on the 440 Aurora and miss it so much! After the rush is over on my charity sewing I will get her fixed. It is just such an inconvenience to be without your favorite girl.

stella63 06-15-2015 11:33 AM

I have an 830 dont use her (the diva) as much as I should but I love her and she is very patient with me lol I'm dreading anything major going wrong! The 880 sounds wonderful but is a dream only for me x

Onebyone 06-15-2015 12:09 PM

I find it annoying that the new machines can't handle a few years of sewing. My two vintage Singers one over 50 years and one over 65 years old, used hard and put up wet when I got them and I have never had to replace anything but the needle. I know extra features may be delicate but the tension and thread guides should be the last things to wear out on a machine. I test sewed on the brand new Brother machine Saturday. The dealer said it had to brought in to be serviced after so many stitches or it will mess up and cost more to fix.

sewbizgirl 06-15-2015 12:15 PM

When I read "830" I was thinking the old 830, circa 1972 or so. I have one now that has billions of sts on it and is still going strong. They sure don't make the new ones like the old ones, do they? The old ones were made in Swizerland (?) whereas the new ones probably come from China.

Better luck with your 880.

Candace 06-15-2015 12:30 PM

My 830 8 series has had so many parts replaced in the 4 years I've owned it, I've lost count. The last visit it needed 2 parts that were "worn Out". And I have many other machines I use other than the 830 because it's been in the shop so often. Honestly, I wouldn't think the 880 would last any longer or have any expectation of lasting longer. If you're only doing piecing and straight stitching, I'd invest in a nice vintage machine like a Singer 301 or a Juki or Brother straight stitch machine.

ManiacQuilter2 06-16-2015 07:31 AM

Love my Bernina 1530. I think you guys are right, that the older DSM are much more durable. I have only had to replace the bobbin section since back then, I was unaware of the damaged that "air in a can" can create rust.

Geri B 06-16-2015 02:18 PM

I did not know that some machines count the stitches....like the odometer on a vehicle.....parts wore out? If the repairman told me that, I would want to see the part(s) and compare to a new one to see the actual "wear"

Candace 06-16-2015 03:07 PM

Most reputable dealers give you the replaced parts, just like auto mechanics.

craftyone27 06-16-2015 04:57 PM

Just FYI most of Bernina's high end machines are still made in Switzerland. I recently purchased a B780 E and it was made in Switzerland. It is usually the lower end models that are made outside Switzerland - can't remember if they are made in Thailand or Vietnam. They do NOT have machines made in China There is a sticker on the underneath of the machine that tells you where it was manufactured.