Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need some advice, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-advice-please-t267586.html)

TerryQuilter 07-14-2015 07:59 PM

Need some advice, please

Need some help from the great quilters on this board. I am quilting a quilt for my DIL's Mother and need some advice please. The quilt has squares (some big, some small) that are embroidered and the owner of the quilt does not want me to quilt in those squares (there is a lot of open space on many of them). I will SID around them, but how can I get enough quilting around them so the batting doesn't shift after washing? There is sashing but not very wide. PLEASE HELP!

Gail B 07-14-2015 08:10 PM

Check on the batting package or go to the manufacturers website. They will state how close you have to quilt.

Peckish 07-14-2015 08:17 PM

I would explain the potential problems and leave the decision to the quilt's owner. If that's what he/she chooses, then at least they go into it with their eyes open.

Prism99 07-14-2015 09:01 PM

What batting are you using? Some need to be quilted closely; others (such as Warm n Natural, which is needlepunched through scrim) can be quilted up to 10" apart.

One thing you can do, no matter which batting is used, is sew some tacking stitches inside the embroidered blocks.

Barb in Louisiana 07-14-2015 09:03 PM

One of the reasons I use Warm & Natural is that you can quilt 10" apart. I don't quilt that far apart, but I like that I know the quilting doesn't have to be every 4 inches as per a lot of the instructions on the batting packages. I have seen embroidered blocks that have small stippling in them and it made the embroidery stand out. I do know it is up to the person who made the quilt, but maybe they don't know the designs that you could do to emphasize their beautiful work. Good luck!

DOTTYMO 07-14-2015 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would say all as above but also add that quilting in these areas makes the applique pop out giving it more humph. I have just done a shadow line around these blocks it changed them completely.

adamae 07-15-2015 12:43 AM

You might consider a very light weight fusible inside the sandwich of the embroidered block.

ManiacQuilter2 07-15-2015 02:15 PM

Do you know what batting was used? Without a photo posted, it is hard to see the spacing of the appliques. If it is like DottyMo, you should be fine.

toverly 07-15-2015 02:23 PM

Would the design enable you to "machine tie" in the embroidery parts for stability? I understand not wanting to quilt over embroidery. I just outlined some embroidery using invisible thread. I don't know how long it will hold but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

AliKat 07-15-2015 03:20 PM

Please explain that if you don't quilt in the embroidered areas it is highly likely those areas will puff out and not give the intended look, but will look quite odd indeed. You could even use invisible thread if that would help, or whatever thread you all choose.