Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   Closed cabinet for fabric storage (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/closed-cabinet-fabric-storage-t267959.html)

pattypurple 07-24-2015 03:53 PM

Closed cabinet for fabric storage

We just moved into a new house and I'm getting my sewing room unpacked. I need storage for 500+ yards of fabric. Since there are 3 big windows (great natural light) I'm worried about fabric fading looking for suggestions for storage to protect the fabric. I'm thinking of trying to find a used chest of drawers. Anything I should avoid, from your experience?

Tartan 07-24-2015 04:06 PM

​If you can afford them, the pantry units of pretend wood with doors from Walmart are nice. I think they are about $100?

Leslie333 07-24-2015 05:23 PM

Ikea may have some good options. I know I've seen several people who use their furniture for storage. If you use a chest of drawers you may want to consider lining the drawers to keep the fabric from being against the wood for long term storage. I use a linen closet (who needs all those sheets!) and put polypropylene liners on top of the wooden shelves to protect the fabric.

DogHouseMom 07-24-2015 06:18 PM

You can also use an open bookshelf or closet - put a curtain rod across the top and drape a curtain to cover the stash from the sun and dust.

crossginny 07-24-2015 07:26 PM

I have my fabric in lateral file cabinets Each piece is wrapped around one half of a hanging file folder and then hung in the drawer. SOOOOO much easier to open the drawer and see immediately every fabric in that drawer.

zozee 07-24-2015 07:46 PM

i keep most of my fabric in two dressers. The one I prefer is the white Ikea one because the drawers slide in and out easily and are just deep enough to hold dollar-store shoeboxes. I don't put lids on the boxes but storing it like keeps everything upright. I fold the fabric in squares and line them up front to back in the boxes, by color. ROYGBIV-ly-like:)
My other dresser has very sturdy drawers, but they are longer, shallower, and don't slide quite as smoothly. I use it for my larger yardage, and scraps that have been cut to certain sizes in boxes.

judy363905 07-24-2015 09:40 PM

I purchased a large 12 cube bookcase at IKEA, you can put plastic pull outs or cloth pull outs in cubes. most hold fabric using Alaskansunshine's tutituals here on boards.for folding using your 24 x 6 inch ruler.. You can have two stacks in each cube and organized by color, theme,etc. I made a jelly roll quilt top to use as a cover(curtain) to cover the edges of the fabric from the light. Really easy to just flip up when I want to shop my stash :). I use the top to hold quilt magazines in holders Hope you find something that will work for you. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

DOTTYMO 07-24-2015 11:08 PM

I use an old china cabinet. Fabric in top with glass doors writing drop down and draws for notions. It receives no direct sunlight so I can see the fabric but a piece of fabric over the glass would look pretty.

bearisgray 07-24-2015 11:18 PM

It is important to keep fabric out of all direct light to minimize fading - esecially aong fold lines.

nme1974 07-25-2015 03:09 AM

I use a 36" x 80" x 20" (WxHxD) storage cabinet that I got from Home Depot. Lined the shelves with paper and it holds a lot....can't tell you in yards.
[h=4]PRODUCT OVERVIEW[/h]Model:# 12338 | Internet/Catalog: # 100203222 | Store SKU:# 342422