Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Chocolate Chips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/chocolate-chips-t267962.html)

cassiemae 07-24-2015 04:56 PM

Chocolate Chips

HI:
Here goes:: I have for years melted a bag chocolate chips in a saucepan with a small amount of yellow
colored shortening. I like to make Peanut clusters at Christmas time. I have never had any problems.
I also would use it for frosting certain no bake cookies.

NOW lately I have tried the same thing and the chocolate chips will not melt they are thick to say the least.
I have always used either Nestlé's or Hershey's chips. I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this
same problem. If not what advice do you offer so I can melt the chips.
Thanks a bunch.
eunice

redquilter 07-24-2015 05:57 PM

Have you tried doing this in a double boiler?

fayeberry 07-25-2015 04:31 AM

I melt chocolate in the microwave, just a few seconds at a time.

dd 07-25-2015 04:59 AM

Did you try the Ghiradelli? They might be a better quality chip.

Geri B 07-25-2015 05:48 AM

Just a guess but probably change of mfg recipe.....either for profit reasons or FDA ruling......have you tried contacting the companies and asking that question........answers would be interesting.....

maviskw 07-25-2015 06:00 AM

I am interested in the answer, too.
If I want a chocolate layer over the crisp rice and marshmallow layer, I sprinkle the chips on, then put it in the oven for about 5 minutes, or until the chips look shiny. Then use a metal spatula or knife to spread around. If I do this on a cake, the oven (turned off) will be hot enough if you do it right away.

rjwilder 07-25-2015 06:52 AM

I've had the same problem melting chocolate to dip strawberries in. I think our food has changed with the laws requiring that trans fat be taken out of a lot of things. I think maybe the amount of trans fat has been reduced in the chocolate chips. They may have substituted some other fat in the making of the choocolate chips. Who knows? I end up with a globby mess even using a double boiler. I have used Hershey's, Nestles's and Ghiradelli all with the same results.

Neesie 07-25-2015 07:06 AM

Something is definitely happening to our food. For years, I bought 2% Am. cheese slices, for grilled cheese sandwiches. A few years ago, I bought a package (same brand) and the cheese refused to melt. Something had been changed, although the supposed ingredients were the same. Needless to say, I stopped buying the 2% slices, as the non-melting quality is disturbing!

Vat 07-25-2015 10:13 AM

Have you tried to contact the company in regards of change of their product ? Most companies have a contact us on their
home pages. I would try if I really wanted to have a solution to the problem. If the product has changed they should be able to tell you and what the change was.

crafty pat 07-25-2015 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter (Post 7266795)
Have you tried doing this in a double boiler?

This is what I use and it always works really well. I just gave one to my DD last year and she told me she didn't know how she ever got along without it.