Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Allergic to cats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/allergic-cats-t268372.html)

Jakers1 08-04-2015 11:40 AM

Allergic to cats

I am making two quilts for people who are allergic to cats and of course I have two. What can I do to remove any cat hair or dander from the finished quilts, is there more than just washing them that will work?

gigi712 08-04-2015 11:49 AM

I'm deathly allergic to all hairy animals. I would suggest washing, drying and placing immediately into a sealed plastic tote or box for delivery. The recipients will probably want to wash them again when received.

Melanie Rudy 08-04-2015 11:49 AM

Hello, I am also allergic to cats and this works for me (my kids have cats). After washing, tumble dry your quilts with a hypoallergenic dryer sheet for about 20 minutes, then hang to dry the rest of the way. This will remove any hair that is left. You can also tumble an unwashed quilt if you are in a pinch.

ManiacQuilter2 08-04-2015 01:33 PM

Great suggestion. No allergies here but I had not heard of hypoallergenic dryer sheet.

suern3 08-04-2015 01:37 PM

Are the people aware that you have cats and OK with that?

meyert 08-04-2015 02:47 PM

I would probably wash and dry it at the laundry mat and take it directly to them... bypassing a stop at my house all together.. keeping the clean quilt away from kitties

Peckish 08-04-2015 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 7277214)
Are the people aware that you have cats and OK with that?

I was wondering this also....

toverly 08-04-2015 06:19 PM

There are different levels of allergies but most people are allergic to the dander and that would be washed away in the washer. I would ask those allergic if the hair is a bother.

auntnana 08-04-2015 07:17 PM

I second the vote for the laundry mat!! As one who's suffered with a severe allergy to cats for over 40 years, those with no allergies sometimes don't realize how those hair and dander can get eeeevvvvrrryyywhere. A lady at work has 2 indoor cats. She's very clean but anytime she visits my office for more than 5 minutes I start sneezing and coughing. And bag it before putting it in your vehicle cause you can guarantee there's some straglers in it. Then make sure you suggest they wash them again before using. I can't go to someone's house to visit if they have a cat. And no, putting the cat out while I'm there will not make any difference. I know it may sound overly dramatic but remember the girl who died after her boyfriend gave her an innocent kiss on the lips after eating a pb&j sammich? Yep. It can be that bad. If you've never suffered a severe allergy attack with your eyes and throat swelling shut you have no idea what it's like. If you have, you know you wouldn't take a chance on doing that to anyone, ever.

DOTTYMO 08-04-2015 10:11 PM

Hen you have an allergy to anything I agree with aunt nana that other people find it hard, very very hard to understand. I'm allergic to oranges. Some people think if they don't offer me a segment that is fine. The juice and essence from the peel put in food eg carrot cake are all oranges and cause problems.
Good luck with your method you select.