Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sharp pins....where can I get them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sharp-pins-where-can-i-get-them-t270074.html)

seaside quilter 09-17-2015 03:44 AM

Sharp pins....where can I get them?

I don't know if pins actually get dull, but mine are dull. Where can I buy some nice sharp pins?

QuiltnNan 09-17-2015 03:52 AM

i like the small silk pins with the colored tops... i buy them at walmart. they've never gotten dull to me, but they occasionally bend

PaperPrincess 09-17-2015 04:10 AM

I like the really thin ones, which don't move the fabric, so I get the Clover Patchwork Pins. Clover also makes Quilting Pins, but they are a bit thicker and much longer.

Onebyone 09-17-2015 04:15 AM

Clover or Fons and Porter glass head pins are very sharp. Clover has very thin patchwork pins. If you can find pins made in Japan they are manufactured the best, better then made in Germany or England.

ManiacQuilter2 09-17-2015 04:46 AM

I recently bought the Clover glass head pins and happy with them but just wish the glass heads were a little bigger.

maminstl 09-17-2015 05:04 AM

I get the Clover Patchwork Pins - they are thin and sharp. They will bend easily, so need to be replaced faster than might seem typical. I always throw in a pack when I do internet orders when I see them on sale.

mckwilter 09-17-2015 05:55 AM

Karen Kay Buckley has pins she calls "the Perfect Pin" in two lengths. They are the thinnest, sharpest pins I've ever used; however, the pin heads are tiny. They are a little pricey -- $8.95 for 45 pins, but if you want sharp, these are the pins to get. You can find them at LQSs and online stores, where they may cost less.

Other than the Perfect Pins I like the Clover glass head pins. They come in two lengths- Clover Patchwork Pin (Fine) are the longer pins and Clover Quilting Pins (Fine).

soccertxi 09-17-2015 06:26 AM

I have two kinds I got at JoAnns. The ones with the cute button heads- I bought a pack to put a cute pin in a pincushion I was giving as a gift. They are sharp...cute and pokey! The others have blue glass heads. I wish the heads were a bit larger, but in the grand scheme of things, sharp is most important. They are kinda bendy too, so if I have more than a couple layers of fabric, I use something with a heftier pin.

Bree123 09-17-2015 06:48 AM

I buy Clover silk pins (glass head). Yes, I do need to replace them periodically because they either bend or get a bit dull. Anything sharp & metal will erode over time. Probably depends how much you use them.

JustAbitCrazy 09-17-2015 09:46 AM

Pins do get dull. Buy new ones! My favorite pins for piecing are the Clover glass head pins which are 0.4 mm thick (not 0.5, which is what most "thin" pins are). Clover makes both thicknesses, and they both have identical blue and yellow glass heads, so you have to read the label to check for shaft thickness.