Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Zippers & back pockets from jeans (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/zippers-back-pockets-jeans-t272019.html)

Quilty-Louise 11-08-2015 12:51 PM

Zippers & back pockets from jeans

Is there any use/need to keep zippers and back pockets
from old jeans?

I just posted in the "main" section about cutting up old
jeans, but now I am left with a zipper & pockets, and don't
really have a use/plan for them.

ckcowl 11-08-2015 01:15 PM

The zippers can be used for bags, purses, other projects. The back patch pockets can be used for quilts, rugs, all kinds of craft, sewing projects. ( About.com) has a tutorial to make a Denim pocket quilt. Search Google images or Pinterest for inspiration, ideas for pockets and zipper projects

dunster 11-08-2015 02:20 PM

People often incorporate the pocket into their quilts.

Tiggersmom 11-08-2015 02:28 PM

Back pocket are great for Potholders, or at least my dh and ds pants were used.

Tartan 11-08-2015 02:30 PM

If you can cut around the pocket to make a nice size square, they make a nice backing for hot pads. You can slip your hand in the pocket for a good grip on a hot pan. Squares seen together with the pockets and attached to a hanger make a nice spot to keep boys Hot Wheels or girls hair clips.

quiltsRfun 11-08-2015 02:34 PM

I've seen the pockets made into small bags. Also saw a hanging organizer made using various size and color of jeans pockets.

Originally Posted by Tiggersmom (Post 7370271)
Back pocket are great for Potholders, or at least my dh and ds pants were used.

And I saw one of those two-handed oven mitts made with jeans pickets connected with a longer piece of denim. Lined with heat resistant ant batting of course.

Check out Pinterest. There are lots of ideas there. I think I saw a hair bow made with zippers.

sherian 11-08-2015 08:20 PM

pocket zipper

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise (Post 7370174)
Is there any use/need to keep zippers and back pockets
from old jeans?

I just posted in the "main" section about cutting up old
jeans, but now I am left with a zipper & pockets, and don't
really have a use/plan for them.

I just thought when I read this jean material with the zipper attached, I could use this on a jean pocketbook.
Thinking I could put it on the outside of pocketbook. I would use it for cell phone ( instead of my pants pocket)
There I would have my cell quickly instead digging in my purse. I would rather have a zipper instead of Velcro.

Idea no. 2 my kitchen apron - a zippered pocket. no.3 Use your zipper pocket to put a key, money, gum etc.
Now put in your pocket or attach a strap. Take a walk, jog,
or drive to WAWA and get some coffee.

sewready 11-08-2015 09:01 PM

I am always begging for back pockets and the belt loops from jeans. I sew the pockets to the front of a sweatshirt and put the belt loops around the neckline, then run a bandanna through it. I can't seem to make enough of these in the winter time!

miriam 11-09-2015 03:46 AM

I sewed a pocket on a sweat shirt, too. My husband loved it. I had to do the rest of his sweatshirts. No bandana though. Then my son in law saw it and wanted some, too. Then I sewed a huge jeans pocket on my grand son's sweatshirt. He loved it very much. He loaded it up with toys. Then it got passed down to his brother. He loaded it up with cereal. My daughter unloaded that shirt to the trash.

miriam 11-09-2015 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I sewed a jeans pocket onto a walker bag for mom. It covered an otherwise bare place.
Back side:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]535268[/ATTACH]