Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best surface to tie a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-surface-tie-quilt-t272170.html)

Jcarpentier 11-12-2015 08:19 AM

Best surface to tie a quilt?

Hello all. I am wondering what the best surface to tie a quilt on would be? Currently, I am using the kitchen table but it seems to be a pain. The quilt I am tying is about 35 in by 45 in so not huge. The next quilt I plan to tie is bigger and that is why I am asking now about the best surface to tie on. Thanks!

tessagin 11-12-2015 08:23 AM

When I have tied a quilt I used my kitchen table also. I put my cutting mat under it to protect my table. Makes it easier to do a section at a time. I tie from center out to the edge.

Kitsie 11-12-2015 08:44 AM

I used a table like a kitchen one. Really helps if you can have a few friends over for a "bee"! I did see a tutorial once where the "thread" was inserted near the edge in the first place to try, then pulled through, and gently along to the second tie place, along and do the same all across without cutting! Then you can go back, cut the "thread" half way between "holes" and tie each one! (never tried it, but maybe make things easier!)

tessagin 11-12-2015 08:53 AM

My tying is very much like basting the Sharon Shamberg way which you can have tied/basted in one fell swoop. After basting just go back and snip and tie.

Irishrose2 11-12-2015 08:56 AM

A snap together quilt frame made of PCV pipes works well for the ones we tie at church.

PaperPrincess 11-12-2015 08:59 AM

Also, put a small marble under the quilt sandwich. You can roll it around an get the needle in easier. An unsharpened round pencil also works.

quiltingcandy 11-12-2015 09:24 AM

When I tied quilts I just used a TV tray or two for the twin size quilts. Those quilts were birthed, so the edges were secured.

marge954 11-12-2015 09:36 AM

Our local library has an auditorium which they let me use if no one has booked the room. I don't think they would let me spray baste a quilt due to the smell so I pin baste. I push the folding tables together and move them away as I get to the middle of the quilt. I leave the door to the room open and people peak in to see what I am doing. This gives me a chance to do a "show and tell" in hopes of getting someone else hooked on quilting. I have a friend who uses the fellowship hall of the church near her. We have a quilt shop that will let you go in and use the tables if a class isn't booked. My sister purchased 4 long folding tables she keeps in her garage which she sets up in the driveway so she can spray baste. I think any of these would make the tying process easier with using a marble as suggested earlier.

ManiacQuilter2 11-12-2015 10:42 AM

Yes, you can tie on any surface but be sure to have you cutting mat protecting the top from your needle.

Bueniebabe 11-12-2015 05:39 PM

I put my jean quilts on my quilt frame that my husband made with 3 rollers on to tie them with pearl cotton